First time Diving in the Ocean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smoothillusions

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am New to diving. I am going to cozumel on August 14th. I will have about 40 dives then. Can you please give me suggestions on what to take and or look out for. I have only been quarry diving so far. What are good places to dive? Any other information would be cool.
Thanks alot.
TJ

Smoothillusions:
Hi everyone.
I am New to diving. I am going to cozumel on August 14th. I will have about 40 dives then. Can you please give me suggestions on what to take and or look out for. I have only been quarry diving so far. What are good places to dive? Any other information would be cool.
Thanks alot.
TJ

Cozumel is where my wife and I got our OW certifications. There are many great dives to be found. I assume you are going out with a DM and dive operator. We used Dive Paradise and they were great. Other people on this board can recommend their favorite operators.

As far as what to look out for or should I say look for:

Large turtles
Manta and Eagle Rays
A few sharks (non aggressive)
Large crabs (sise of trash can lids)
Lobsters you could put a saddle on
and more species of fish then you can even count

Once you go ocean, freshwater is never quite as good.

Have fun and enjoy!!

Welcome to the Scuba Board.
You are going to overwhelmingly love Cozumel, so much so that it may spoil you for life.
There is not alot of extra equipment that you will need compared to a quarry, lighter exposure protection and more weight (which will be supplied by the dive operator)because of the saltwaters greater bouyancy characteristics. Also remember that 33fsw is used per atmosphere of pressure in sea water compared to 34ffw in the quarry (don't know whether you do any advaced calculations for planning purposes).

Other than that, bring sunscreen, some great expectations and have a fantastic time.

Oh, some of my recommedations are Santa Rosa Wall and Palancar reefs.

Enjoy!!

One thing you might want to consider taking with you is a light, exposure suit. The water temperature is plenty warm but there's lots of little jelly fish in Coz. I've got a nylon second skin suit and I've never been stung.

My wife and I just returned from Cozumel. You are going to enjoy it. Make sure you dive with a dive master your first time. They will show you the best place to dive for your skill level. The currents can get kind of tricky, and the right information before you dive will make it much more enjoyable. The Marine life is fantastic, be sure to take your camera. Enjoy!!!!

Smoothillusions:
Hi everyone.
Thanks alot.
TJ
If this is your first time diving in the ocean, I will just take the opportunity to remind you to watch out for the sun (protect your skin and sunglasses for the eyes) and for dehydration. Especially over a period of a few days, they can mess you up and make you tired and careless.

There are obviously a lot of great places to dive, but some of the best may be either too crowded, too deep, or too drifty for your comfort and experience level. You can get some information about your choices here:
http://www.underwatercolours.com/cozumel/maps/cozmap.html
and here:
http://www.cozumeldiveguide.com/book.php#
(click on "Reef Maps" and then "interactive Island Map")

After you have read up a little bit, and have an idea about the places that interest you and seem appropriate for your experience, you can search these threads for reports about dive trips and the like about those sites.

I would suggest you use one of the smaller (boat size) operators. I hate being on a boat with 20-30 other people. We just returned a couple of weeks ago for our first trip to Coz and dove with "Dive with Martin". He runs a nice operation with fairly small boats- usually 10 people or less and he has some good DM's. I am sure there are other ops as well but from personal experience he is the only one I can recommend. If you can, practice your free ascents/ decents and safety stops. This is all drift diving so there are not anchor lines or other ropes to hang on to during your dive. One of the divers on our trip made a comment like "I did not know free ascents were important- we always have an achor line to use". They struggled somewhat when doing safety stops.
Most of our dives were in the 80 to 90 ft range. Be sure to tell your DM/operator about your experience and comfort level. We had a fairly experienced group so our dives may have been a little deeper than the norm.

I've dived Cozumel several times and highly recommend Scuba-Du who are out of the Presidente Intercontinental hotel. They have nice boats and very good Dive Masters.

Salt water diving is harder on your equipment, make sure you rinse everything extremely well both inside and out or the salt will crystallize and start ruining stuff. Sometimes my computer starts acting funny (won't stop diving, won't let you scroll through functions on the surface) either between dives on the boat or after the dive day ends. It does this because of the electrical properties of salt. A good soak in fresh water to free it of salt makes it start behaving normally again. I always carry a container to soak my computer in just in case it does it when I'm on the boat.

Make sure you have sunscreen for your lips on the boat as well as some sort of moisturizing lotion back at the room because salt water and sun tend to dry your skin out. Don't neglect the bottoms of your feet when you put lotion on after the dive day, they have been soaking in your booties in salt water all day.

One thing I learned on my last salt water trip was that the salt only stings your eyes momentarily. I would remove my mask during my descent and open my eyes until the burning stopped then replace and clear the mask. I found that once my eyes had been exposed to the salt they did not burn if I got water in my mask later in the dive. Failing to do this meant my eyes burned any time a little water got in my mask.

Diving in a current is much more pleasant with a very simple low profile snorkel (most snorkels designed to keep water out are not low profile) or no snorkel at all. Stronger currents tend to make the snorkel jerk around and flood your mask. I prefer to always dive with a snorkel on my person even if it is not on my mask. You can get the ones that fold to fit in a pocket or strap a simple one to your leg or BC where it will be out of the way.

Make sure you have a good "Save-a-dive" kit with you. Take along an extra mask strap as well as 2 fin straps just in case. Double ended snap links in different sizes are nice for making sure gear is kept close to your body. Zip ties in different sizes are also extremely handy. A small retractor and an extra octopus holder as well as a snorkel holder (to attach snorkel to mask) can also come in handy when kept in your kit. It doesn't hurt to have a pair of the "SeaBands" seasick wrist bands in that kit either. Lock-n-Lock boxes sold at places like Meijer in the home/kitchen section are great for keeping your stuff dry and they come in lots of sizes. They even have a size that will accomodate 2 sleeves of Saltine crackers (a must for me when on a boat to prevent seasickness).

D.A.N. insurance or something similar is a good idea when travelling and make sure your insurance cards and I.D. are somewhere accessible (your buddy should know the location) in case something happens to you. A list of medicines you are currently taking as well as any allergies to medications and every contact number for anyone who would need to know you are injured should be kept with the insurance info just in case you have an accident and are unable to communicate this information to emergency personnel. Always better safe than sorry. Make sure you know this information about your buddy also.

Keep your regulator in your mouth and your mask on your face until you and your buddy are safely in the boat. Salt water is nasty to swallow as well as inhale and you may well do both if there is wave action and you are bobbing on the surface with your reg out and your mask around your neck. You wore your mask for the whole dive, a couple of minutes on the surface is not going to kill you.

That's everything I can think of at the moment from one quarry diver to another. Have a great trip!
Ber :bunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom