first time buyer, need suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello all-

To start a little bit about me, I am 18 years old and at the moment attending my first year of college. This past year I completed my advanced diving certification. I am studying marine biology in school and have been diving for 5 years now; it is a passion of mine. My question is, I am hopping over the next 4 years to work on getting my instructors license but as of yet my only equipment is mask, fins, and snorkel. I plan to continue diving throughout my life; I already have a trip lined up to the Cayman Islands next year with the college. I just need to know where to being in buying my equipment. I am interested in technical diving so the equipment needs to be versatile. I am also a strong believer that buying top of the line from the start although costs more will save money in the long run by allowing me to keep the same equipment for years. Having said that however, keep in mind, college students don’t enjoy spending massive amounts of money.

What I am looking for is either direction to maybe a website that would help inform me or also just some suggestions of brands and even specific pieces of equipment that you as experienced divers think would be suitable.

I would appreciate any advice, thanks a bunch.

Colin

edit: I looked up some general prices for things does 1600 bucks for reg, BCD, computer, and wetsuit sound right?

Welcome to the board.
You'll get enough different gear recommendations to drive ya bonkers, but you can't go wrong with a backplate & wing setup, providing you don't pay full retail. :wink:
Avoid gear brands that use price fixing schemes; some manufacturers do not allow the dealers to discount beyond a handhul of change.
I'll let the other folks confooze the daylights out of you with regards to regs, suits, etc.
Be sure to check the classifieds section here, deals can be had. (hint hint) :D

I looked up what a backplate and wing was, wondering if you could tell me the advantage of that? Also I am planning on buying everything new, a peace of mind thing for me, that way I KNOW the equipment I am placing my life in reliable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom