First tech trip about to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, it turns out that warm, calm, clear weather in Pensacola doesn't mean squat. The waves out at the wreck were too high, and neither the operator we had pre-selected nor any others we asked would go.

We learned that this happens a whole lot there this time of the year and many times of the year. Actually getting to dive the Oriskany can be a very iffy proposition for much of the year.

They really need to move the Oriskany closer to shore...

Great trip report. Sorry it did not work out better for your guys. Joel Silverstein was trying to put together a trip on a liveaboard to anchor over the Oriskany for 3 solid days of diving on the wreck. It sounded great at the time - now I am thinking maybe not such a good idea...

How was the viz in Hole in the Wall?

It was dusty--maybe 30 feet.

They really need to move the Oriskany closer to shore...

Great trip report. Sorry it did not work out better for your guys. Joel Silverstein was trying to put together a trip on a liveaboard to anchor over the Oriskany for 3 solid days of diving on the wreck. It sounded great at the time - now I am thinking maybe not such a good idea...

Actually, it might be a decent idea.

There are two problems with the waves:

1. The long boat ride to and from shore can be a nightmare.

2. Getting into the smaller boats as they pitch about can be a real challenge.

A good-sized liveaboard can possibly solve both problems.

Oooh, I had to laugh in sympathy about using the 18/45 in Morrison!

The first time I got a helium fill, it was to dive a wreck in my wreck workshop class. The weather turned foul and we all decided to bag that experience dive, so we went back to shore and spent an hour and a half doing shallow water line running drills on our expensive mix.

Right now, I have four sets of doubles with 21/35 in them from a similar miscalculation, and I'm desperately trying to figure out what to dive with them so I can get my 85s back!

Sorry you got blown out, but at least you got some good cave diving in. Hole is pretty, isn't it?

Oooh, I had to laugh in sympathy about using the 18/45 in Morrison!

The first time I got a helium fill, it was to dive a wreck in my wreck workshop class. The weather turned foul and we all decided to bag that experience dive, so we went back to shore and spent an hour and a half doing shallow water line running drills on our expensive mix.

Right now, I have four sets of doubles with 21/35 in them from a similar miscalculation, and I'm desperately trying to figure out what to dive with them so I can get my 85s back!

Sorry you got blown out, but at least you got some good cave diving in. Hole is pretty, isn't it?
Find someone with a booster and boost the 21/35 into a couple of 80's you aren't using. When you transfer it back, you will only have lost about $10 of the helium instead of all of it.

Yeah, that's also one benefit of sidemount. Can just rent a couple of AL80s and dive with those instead of the tanks planned for deeper dives.

Sorry you guys got blown out. We went out on the Down Under out of Orange Beach on Saturday and the seas were like glass. It was my first time on the O so I guess we just got lucky. The H20 Below and the Y-Knot were tied up on the wreck when we got there.

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

Sorry you guys got blown out. We went out on the Down Under out of Orange Beach on Saturday and the seas were like glass. It was my first time on the O so I guess we just got lucky. The H20 Below and the Y-Knot were tied up on the wreck when we got there.

I saw your trip report yesterday and sent a link out to the rest of our group, along with my sobs.

Back
Top Bottom