First Stage Regulator Failure Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve read that 2nd stages, with their thin diaphragms, are the most susceptible to failure, but again, I cannot find the specific data.

Whatever the case, it appears that quite few deaths occur annually due to regulator failure.
I've read lots of things that were not true.
As i read the fatality reports, it seems that the deaths tend more to come from panic induced by a problem, not by the problem itself.
And it is not clear that these were actually regulator failures.....as this thread has shown, there is no agreement on what that even means.
And you started by asking about first stages; now you've moved to second stages?

I've witnessed 2 first stage failures. One was z non sealed reg in high 40 degree water temp the other i don't know the cause.

I've witnessed 2 first stage failures. One was z non sealed reg in high 40 degree water temp the other i don't know the cause.

Actually you've witnessed 3 @formernuke, you didn't count the one you saw today. That was the 1st time one of my regulators failed in a major way, aside from an occasional minor freeflow stopped by turning the adjustment knob a little. That was probably the main seat or the piston shaft O ring. I tagged it and shelfed it until January.

Annecdote: The other day a customer brought in an Apeks reg with a seat failure. The force tore through the diaphragm, ejected the pressure transmitter through the environmental seal and embedded it in a wall (customer was pressurizing reg predive). Could have been nasty if he was looking at the reg when it happened.

Turns out this stage reg had previously been completely flooded and dried out. The dry salt caused the seat to stick open, hence the failure.

First stage design failure or operator error/lack of maintenace? I vote the latter.

Actually you've witnessed 3 @formernuke, you didn't count the one you saw today. That was the 1st time one of my regulators failed in a major way, aside from an occasional minor freeflow stopped by turning the adjustment knob a little. That was probably the main seat or the piston shaft O ring. I tagged it and shelfed it until January.

I was counting yesterday's, it was number 2.

Back
Top Bottom