First Stage Reg Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tddfleming

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am newly cert. While out doing the OW dives this weekend, I had noticed that my first stage had a tear in the rubber bladder at the end of the first stage. What is the purpose of this rubber bladder and what can happen when it is torn? I had shown my inst. while there seem to be some hesitation, I was given a different set up. The inst. own gear. This was rental equipment from where I took my classes.

Thanks

OK, we gotta tighten up the terminology. :D

There's no rubber "bladder" (membranous sac serving as a receptacle for a fluid or air) anywhere on a regulator, first or second stage.

There should be no rubber parts external to a first stage at all; other than perhaps the dust cap or some trim piece. Any o-rings wouldn't be easily visible.

What kind of regulator was it? Brand and model, if you happen to know.

Which "end" of the first stage was this rubber part on? The end where the yoke is (which attaches the reg to the tank valve); or the other end, which should be solid except for maybe some trim?

You're not talking about the second stage are you? That's the part that goes to your mouth. If so, do you mean the exhaust tee or rubber exhaust valve? Mouthpiece?

Last edited:
Some of the Conshelf and Prodiver 1st stages from US Divers had an environmental seals that were small rubber disks as described. They were filled with mineral oil or silicone oil to prevent contamination and freezing water from effecting the diaphragm and causing the intermediate pressure from rising.

Without knowing the manufacture and model of the first stage it would be hard to say for sure what you observed. In the models above, no ill effects or issues would have occurred in waters above 45 degrees F had you made the dive.

On Sherwood Blizzards there is a small rubber grommet looking piece where the Drybleed vent is. It is there to act as a check valve of sorts. Again during a dive in waters above 45 degrees you would not have experienced any issues. There is a small chance that a small amount of water could have entered the first stage after the dive once the regulator had been depressurized.

On the Current versions of the Apex models there is a small rubber seal for the environmental dry seal. It prevents water from entering and allows exterior pressure to transfer to the piston. During the dive no ill effects would have been experienced.

Hope that helps.

I will see what I can do. It is the exact opposit end of the of the yoke, down by where all the hoses connect into the 1st stage. As for the model, I cannot read anything on it. The second is a aqua lung. I have attached a couple of photo in hopes that it will help.

Thanks

Attachments

• reg1.jpg
    reg1.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 124
  • reg4.jpg
    reg4.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 130
It is the environmental seal as Hallmac stated. This seal helps to prevent freeze-ups in cold water and also keeps out debris from the chamber. You would not have had any problems if you were diving in water above 45F and probably not even if it was a little colder. Good to see that as a new diver you are checking out your equipment.

Thanks for everyones help!

There should be no rubber parts external to a first stage at all; other than perhaps the dust cap or some trim piece. Any o-rings wouldn't be easily visible.

As stated this piece should be there as it is an environmentally sealed 1st stage.

You need to have this replaced immediately and have the 1st stage serviced as water has entered a 1st stage that should not have ocean water inside.

BTW in one of the photos it is clearly visible that one of your hoses needs to be replaced immediately.

As stated this piece should be there as it is an environmentally sealed 1st stage.

You need to have this replaced immediately and have the 1st stage serviced as water has entered a 1st stage that should not have ocean water inside.

BTW in one of the photos it is clearly visible that one of your hoses needs to be replaced immediately.

No need to panic or have the reg serviced soon because of a torn seal. Having that seal torn is not big deal if the water is warm. That particular reg is Royal but it is the same internally as a Titan or Conshelf, both of which are more commonly sold without the enviromental seal installed. It may well need servicing for other reasons but not just because the enviromental diaphram is torn.

Additional comments:

The seal in and of itself is not a real concern, what is however is the seeming lack of maintainance on the equipment. From an operational point of view, simply removing the seal would be fine for warm water use but the fact that is was still there along with the damaged hose makes me wonder about the quality of the operation renting it. I certainly would not have my gear serviced there. Don't know where you are in VA but if you are not too far from Raleigh, there are a couple of well stocked shops with great sales people here. It may be worth while to cancel your gear order and look elsewhere.

Last edited:
The OP stated that it was a rental. Based on the condition of that hose I would find a shop that takes better care of their rental equipment.

Yes, rental, and I do plan on finding another LDS. What started out to be warm and fuzzy has led me to want to pull myself bald. I could go on about this but won't. I called them to inform them about this, as I did not want to be help responsible for it. They said they would fix it, but I am not holding my breath. We are still waiting on our personal gear that we ordered over 4 weeks ago. Myself, my 12 yr old daughter and husband all signed up. Another lesson learned.

Back
Top Bottom