First stage poppet removal Mares Proton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mares Proton is the name of the 2nd stage. I believe the Proton was paired with the MR12 first stage. This is a piston type 1st stage....not much to it. The attached manual is dated but has diagrams and some procedures.

-Z

Attachments

• Mares Manual.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 127
It is actually the 16 as pictured here. Redirect Notice

It is pretty straightforward, similar to many but I could not see how to get the seat out. With Aqualung and Apeks there is a tool that goes in from the diaphragm side however with this the hols in the body is smaller than that of the seat/poppet. I cannot find reference to it in the manual I had and do not want to damage any facings by hooking or pushing.

It is actually the 16 as pictured here. Redirect Notice

It is pretty straightforward, similar to many but I could not see how to get the seat out. With Aqualung and Apeks there is a tool that goes in from the diaphragm side however with this the hols in the body is smaller than that of the seat/poppet. I cannot find reference to it in the manual I had and do not want to damage any facings by hooking or pushing.

Would compressed air work? If so, do it in a bag so the parts don't go flying out and get lost.

Some Mares 1st stages do require compressed air to remove the seat and the diaphragm, but you need to have the right openings still plugged and do it in the right order. There is also a special tool (and technique) to seal the seat while blowing it out. There were also some early items without a removable seat, I don't recall if a 16 was one of them. I will check when I can.
The non removable versions, such as the first 12, are no longer serviceable, unless you can find a 1st generation poppet.

Okay, more info for you. The image at the link you included shows a V16, not an MR16. Proton pairing could have been with either version.
The original V16 was an SCS valve seat. The poppet would have a spherical sealing surface rather than a flat surface. VERY difficult to remove without the SCS removal tool. But, it is also possible to upgrade to an MR style valve. Hopefully that is already done.
The MR seat requires the pressurized air method to remove. I have never tried anything different than that prescribed method.
Also, there have been two different versions of the MR seat and four versions of the poppet. Neither the current poppet nor the previous version should be used with the old seat.

No help to the OP, but I'll attach an MR22 manual here.

Carry on.

Attachments

• MR22.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 131

Back
Top Bottom