first solo experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you plan on hunting for things on the bottom of a low/no viz entanglement rich environment often, take a quick trip over to the Public Safety Divers forum. That kind of environment is a PSD's usual home and we've got a lot of experience and discussion about operating in it, particularly in regard to entanglements. In a PSD set-up, I carry 4 cutting devices; shears, knife, z cutter, and wire cutters, all on my harness/BC (on my team we wear a separate harness under the BC to which we attach our tethers). You'll find the shears much easier to use than a knife, and good for 1 handed use. Next time you go diving, grab an old milk carton and tie rope, cord, fishing line, wire, and whatever else you're likely to run into across it to make a cut box. Try cutting the different materials with your different cutting instruments, including deploying them and, if applicable, storing them afterward. Oh, and you're right about losing the leg knife; they make great line traps and clearing the lower legs is a PITA. If the entanglements are really dense, spring straps or duct tape over the outside fin buckle and strap are your friend.
Welcome to the solo side, and dive safe.

Wow, thanks for pointing me over there Muddy. Definitely the kind of eye opening material I need to be exposed to. I have never considered it but I think I am going to see if there are some local PS divers I can hook up with for some training. I know I really need to do more entanglement drills. I do them mentally, carefully thinking my way through each step. But that is only good for so much. I still believe it to be a very useful tool.

With the cut box, are you just swimming up to it and practicing using your tools? Or are you actually getting this thing hung on yourself? I'll have to run a search for a z cutter,I'm not familiar with that name (might know the tool though)

When I think of dangers that are magnified by low viz entanglement is my biggest concern. Next would probably be the possibility of unknowingly entering an overhead environment. It could happen. Lacerations are also a possibility from bumping into sharp objects. Disorientation.

Perhaps some of this seems to stray from the subject of solo diving but the fact is these are situations I am training to be ready for while diving alone.

How fast is the current in the river? The link below gives some river diving tips for fast current in a river about 2 hrs from me.

River Diving Equipment

Check out the section on equipment, there's lots of info on making goodie boxes that don't become entanglement hazards, plus info on not wearing vent style fins as things can get stuck into the vents and pin your fin in place in a strong current.

Just swim up to the cut box and practice using your tools; a few lbs in the bottom of it should keep it down. One other thing to add to the mix is an old LP or HP hose. It's important to know how to cut things, but also important to know, by feel, what not to cut. Please do not intentionally entangle yourself solo; that kind of drill should only be done in a pool with experienced support divers.
A z-cutter or z-knife is a hook shaped cutting tool with a protected blade originally designed to cut parachute lines and stolen by divers for cutting lines. They're particularly good for reaching behind you and cutting lines hung up on your first stage. Get one with a small enough mouth that none of your hoses will fit in it; should still be more than big enough for any line you run into and minimize the bubbles produced when cutting blindly behind yourself. Incidentally, they also work great for cutting seat-belts.
As far as dangers... low viz is dangerous, solo is dangerous, diving itself is dangerous. The trick is to minimize the risks and know what level you're comfortable dealing with. There are a lot of knowledgeable divers here, and everyone manages risks a little differently. Most control risk by training, equipment, experience, and planning. Many solo divers solo in areas well known to them and dive very conservative profiles, some carry ponies or doubles, and some divers don't solo at all.
A good way to think of it is task loading. Everyone has some level at which they get overwhelmed. Good training means that buoyancy, fin technique, gas management, .etc are almost unconscious. That means that whenever you get a new situation, you don't have to concentrate on maintaining the fundamentals while you deal with it. Current, low viz, entanglements, disorientation, overheads.... all of these add tasks to your load. Can you manage those which you expect to see on your dive and have enough left over to deal with an emergency? If not, I'd think very hard about doing that dive.
Training helps minimize the task loading; it's generally pretty easy to clear an entanglement if you stop and address it slowly, deliberately, and immediately. Thinking through scenarios like you're doing is also a great idea; it helps streamline the subsurface head scratching. Gear helps to an extent as well; a streamlined rig is easier to swim and less likely to snag, a redundant air supply means you can shut down and fix a regulator problem without worrying about losing your gas.
The biggest key, to quote a song, is to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. We've all had days when we get to the water and decide that it's just not my day to dive. Don't dive plans that you're uneasy with, and don't be afraid to turn a dive or not dive at all if it doesn't feel right. That's one of the greatest things about diving solo; it's a piece of cake to change your plans and there's no buddy to get fidgety if you just hover watching the sun and shadows on the quarry wall for half an hour, to pick a purely theoretical example.
Sorry about the epistle length post, hopefully it helps some.

My solo dives began with the the decision to surface when losing contact with my buddy. When in a hunting situation, following "sent" of prey decides which way you turn, and when the vis is low you loose contact quickly when different paths are taken. When it becomes evident that the entire dive can become surfaces to regain contact another plan has to be made.

At this point I realized that making sure one idiot surfaced safely was easier than two, my buddy concurred.

Dive the Planif separated the plan is to surface, then surface.

Bob

MS said a lot of good stuff. Usually the discussion revolves around gear configuration and in particular redundancy (which is good) but I think the most important thing you can ever develop for soloing is situational awareness and the ability to avoid problems before they occur. I have a certain "comfort level" I maintain when soloing and when things start to throw me off I either stop and regain mental equalibrium or begin to ascend and reassess. I don't let myself get drawn to far down the rabbit hole. I also try to always keep a mental note of where my exit points are (slopes, currents, compass bearings, out croppings etc...).

The actual dive skills are the same as normal SCUBA (whatever that is?).

Everybodies equipment will vary depending on their locale and the type of diving they do. For gear I have two cutting tools, a blunt nosed knife and EMT shears. The knife is on the waistband of my rig midline and the shears are on my left shoulder strap just below the chest D ring. Both can be reached with both hands. Because I dive OW I only carry one B/U light (under the right chest D ring). I used to dive a pony with a single tank but now I almost always dive independant twin 80's. I also carry a lift bag and B/U mask in my right thigh pocket and sometimes a preloaded finger spool/SMB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom