first solo experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hunabku

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I met a veteran black water diver at my LDS last week and ended up going fossil diving with him the next day.

Let me back up. The funny thing was that I was at the shop buying a 40cf bottle to start carrying because I wanted to start fossil hunting in black water solo. I figured I would never find anyone to go with. Right about then I met somebody to go with. I still bought the bottle.

We shore dove from two locations on the St Mary's river. Although we went into the water together it was well understood that for all practical purposes these would be solo dives. The viz was about 12" with lights on. 0 with them off. I could hear the hissing of my friends reg for a few minutes, but then I was all alone underwater and I loved it!

It was my first time in such low viz, other than night diving in clear water. I found it to be very relaxing. I was very happy to learn that I am just as relaxed in low viz as I am in good viz. My friend found a couple of large sharks teeth and I found a partial whale vertebrae. It was very cool to find something my first time trying.

I anticipate that I will be moving more and more towards solo diving, black water or not. Anyways, I am glad to have found a place where solo diving discussion is taking place in a positive way. I am looking forward to sharing my experiences and learning from those of others.

Anybody got any tips or advice regarding solo black water fossiling? The one thing I noticed needed some work was my goody bag situation. I need to come up with a low drag, low snag way to carry a goody bag hands free and still be able to access it easily.

I didn't dive with the pony that day. I just kept a close watch on my gauges and decided I would end the dive at 1000 lbs. I plan to try out wearing the pony this weekend in some clear water with a buddy so I get get any issues worked out before I carry it into the dark stuff.

Dive safe, David

What is black water?

It's the term I'm using in general for very low viz diving. It can also specifically mean the dark tannin stained waters that flow out of swamps.

I ended up back in the St Mary's again yesterday. The first dive we did the current was pretty stiff. I followed a bearing diagonally across the river heading into the current. Viz was awful. This time I could barely make out the bottom with my mask a few inches from it.

I bumped into something big along the way. I felt it and it seemed to have netting hung on it so I turned out from it and swam a straight into the current. There was an inlet close to the shore that you could get sucked into so I surfaced mid river and surface swam back to the beach. I found nothing but it was good experience.

Once again I really enjoyed the feeling of being alone.

On the second dive my buddy wanted for us to try to stick close together. He said we would be in an area with a lot of trash. The trash would date from present all the way back to the time when the area was used as a British encampment.

The viz was better on this dive. A couple feet, maybe. If My buddy's light got more than about three feet away it would disappear. We separated at on point and I knew that it was acceptable. I headed out on a bearing until I hit the mud near the opposite shore. My partner was up getting his bearings also. We finished the rest of the dive together. I found a stoneware gin bottle from Rotterdam. The neck at the top was missing but I still liked it.

I found that under the second dives conditions that it was much more difficult to stay together than it was to just dive by myself. I spent way more time trying to keep my partners light within site than I did searching the bottom.

I also don't think that a 40 cu pony bottle is going to work out for me in these conditions. Maybe something smaller.

I can't comment on the diving conditions other than to say that, while shallow, they seem to represent a very dangerous environment. Is there a picture that shows what the river looks like (curious)? My suggestion would be to take soloing seriously there. There is much more to it than simple gear redundancy but in that situation I would have at least two cutting tools set in locations that can be reached by both hands. The first is a throw away as you may fumble it when nervous and entangled. The second one... not so much.
I do envy your ability to collect fossils and specimens though. In our waters we do not have fossils like that and it is very rare to see anything older than 100 years.

Hey glad your first solo dives went well :)

Here in Hawaii a "black water" dive means a night dive in deep water (no visible bottom - +200'), similar to a "blue water" dive but at night. 60' stern line with 25-30# weight belt to make it a down line, boat drifting in ~2000' deep water, hanging around for 30+ minutes to see what drifts by.

I have heard of black water in reference to the high tannin contents of some S.A. rivers. There is a tropical fish product called "Black water extract".

I can't comment on the diving conditions other than to say that, while shallow, they seem to represent a very dangerous environment. Is there a picture that shows what the river looks like (curious)? My suggestion would be to take soloing seriously there. There is much more to it than simple gear redundancy but in that situation I would have at least two cutting tools set in locations that can be reached by both hands. The first is a throw away as you may fumble it when nervous and entangled. The second one... not so much.
I do envy your ability to collect fossils and specimens though. In our waters we do not have fossils like that and it is very rare to see anything older than 100 years.

DaleC, I also consider the conditions to be inherently dangerous, and not to be taken lightly as well. Entanglation is my #1 concern. I have indeed been carrying two cutting tools. On on my leg (which I think I need to relocate) and one on my BC. I would like to find something more along the lines of a dedicated one handed line cutter. Something with less sharp edges that could cause collateral damage. Perhaps some shears would fit the bill.

As far as whether to solo or not I am leaning towards solo. The alternative would be to tether yourself to your buddy. I am just not so sure that is a good idea in these conditions, but it is considerable.

I don't have a photo, but thanks to the magic of Bing Maps here is a nice areal image...

Never mind, I need to have a higher post count to include URL's. Coming soon.

What I really like to do is to create "what if's" for myself. I then mentally work my way through every detail needed to correct the problem. Ideally practicing the scenario in a pool comes next (not always possible, or safe, for every "what if")

I'd love to have some of you bounce "what if's" to me.

Gotta get those five posts in so I can show a picture...

A link to a view of the St Marys, near the coast...

St. Mary's

And me...
img_3356.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom