First shots with a strobe, Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boogs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey guys, finally got the chance to shoot with my new strobe - my first time to use one. I'm using a Canon G10 with a single YS-27DX. Here are some of my shots:

4416083642_bc054b7878.jpg

4415318331_933b32bc7e.jpg

4416085132_c4700ee79d.jpg

4415318691_07d6b9bc21.jpg

4416096948_94f3ab6f21.jpg

4416096504_c54fcf1460.jpg

4416082032_aa5be0d17f.jpg

Any constructive criticism and tips are more than welcome. :)

I'm not familiar with the setup, but it doesn't look like much light is hitting your subjects. Whether it's the aiming, the power of the strobe, or perhaps the timing I have no idea. I really like your composition though!

Nice shots ... well done!

I'm not familiar with the setup, but it doesn't look like much light is hitting your subjects. Whether it's the aiming, the power of the strobe, or perhaps the timing I have no idea. I really like your composition though!

It's probably the aiming, since I get a lot of blown highlights with the strobe on max power. I think I was using about half, with 1/60 shutter speed at f8.0. I tried different positions.. I guess I just need more practice with moving the arm around :) Thanks for the advice!

I like the trumpet fish photo.
I am no expert but i would suggest using a faster shutter speed. At 1/60 you are more likely to get less sharp photos due to movement. Your strobe should provide all the light (for macro photos)allowing you to increase the shutter speed up to 1/125 & above.

Just to note...the shutter speed won't effect the exposure of what the strobe hits. It will however control what the background exposure is. With that in mind (and I don't know what camera you have) you can go up with your strobe power and also raise the number of your f stop to keep the exposure down. Play around with that in mind and make sure you keep your diffuser on. Nice start for sure though!

By Jove, I think you've got it.
As mentioned, play around with your settings a bit more. Try using manual mode if not already and try trading off the shutter speed, aperture and strobe settings. From the shadows, it looks like you are moving the strobe around, which is good. Are you covering up the internal flash? The 27DX is a great strobe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom