First set of gear recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlewFoot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
After much obsessed research and discussions with LDS I'd like to know what the SB thinks...

-OxyCheq Mach V 30 with Dive Rite SS Plate BP/W package from ScubaToys (Wonderful service and knowledgable salesman) as opposed to Seaquest Balance

-Aqualung Legend Regulator (don't see a need for LX or supreme) as opposed to Titan LX Supreme or...?

-Atomic SS1 Titanium, gently used (was trained on air2 & LDS as well as all my dive buddies use this as opposed to octos)nor used Aqualung Air2

-Suunto Zoop wrist, SK7 compass wrist, SPG clipped to waist as opposed to Cobra

My dives are split between Midwest lakes (semi cold, not below 50 degrees) and tropical.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of it, except that I personally have a great distaste for in-line octos.

I don't like console computers, because I think it's difficult to pull them up to look at them, and securing them so you can see them at all times ends up with a kludgy setup. Wrist gauges work much better for me, and allow me to see the information I need all the time. Gas I don't need on a moment-to-moment basis, so that can be clipped where I can look at it deliberately every five minutes or so.

I'm a great fan of backplate setups, because of the advantages they offer (which I'm sure you have read in one or more of the many threads debating them). My husband originally bought a SeaQuest Balance, which is a good BC (if you like BCs) and which he still uses in the pool. But we both dive backplates.

We started our careers with Aqualung Titans. We used them in Puget Sound (45 to 54 degrees) without incident. We still use them for pool regs.

Welcome to Scubaboard.

Oxy 30lb wing is a very nice wing, a plate is basically a plate. The Oxy wing cam band slots line up perfectly with the DR plate. The guys at Scubatoys are tops.

Both the regs you listed are very good regs, I'd go the Titan as breathing wise you'd likely not tell the difference between that and the Legend, bonus it's significantly cheaper.

Zoop is a very reliable, simple to use computer match it with a Deep Sea Supply bungee mount and you're good to go ditto on the SK7, a great compass again made even better in a DSS bungee mount.

Simple brass and glass SPG clipped off to your left waist D ring is nice and streamlined.

Personal preference, I'm with TSM re the inline Octo, I'd buy a standard second stage.

IMO you are looking at some very nice gear.

Good luck, shopping for dive gear is so much fun.

PS Check out Dive Gear Express also, service is awesome, not unlike Scubatoys, and prices are nice.

Second Buddha's comments. Wrist mounted instruments are easier to use and your octo should be a standard second stage (a neon yellow flex hose makes a nice octo option, $20 at Dive Gear Express).

Oxycheq makes good equipment, but customer service tends range from mediocre to ignore you completely. DR makes a similar wing, is a bit cheaper, and their customer service is very good. HOG also makes good wings and have great customer service.

Dive Gear Express is a great online resource (just got in some tektite strobes from them today). You might also try Dive Right in Scuba (Chicago area) and Northeast Scuba Supply, both have additional product selections and knowledgeable staff. NESS usually has a pretty good used equipment selection as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom