First set of equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Along the lines of what EZ is saying, experienced people have devoted serious thought to what gear configuration is best and have settled on the backplate/wing setup. Check out this link: http://www.gue.com/equipment/jj-hogarth.shtml. Although the comments on that page are directed at cave-diving, if you dig around on the site, you'll see that GUE recommends the same basic equipment for all types of diving.

Many think that the DIR style of equipment too rigidly controlled, leaving insufficient leeway for individual needs and preferences. I disagree with them. Check for yourself, and make your own decision.

I just went through a similar situation...unfortunately I am not lucky enough to be moving to the Caymans. I went with a Scuba Pro reg. I looked at the Mk 25 with the G250, S550, and S600. In the end I chose the S600 do to its more compact design and adjustability and the price tag isn't a whole lot more. For a BC I bought a Seaquest Raider with the Air Source integrated inflator/octo. It actually wasn't my first choice, but I got a great deal on a barely used one so I really have nothing to complain about. I bought a simple pressure gauge and went with a wrist mount Uwatec Smart Pro computer. Again, it was only a little more money for soemthing that seemed to be far superior in technology at this point. Of course maybe it was just a good salesman. If I were in your shoes, I would probably skip the raider as it is a little bulky and offers tons of lift which you shouldn't need in the warm water. You might want to look at the Aqualung Malibu becuase it is very reasonable and seems to be a very nice piece of equipment. Right now I have my eye on a Deep Outdoors backplate, harness, and wing....just in case anyone was looking for ideas for late xmas presents.

Back
Top Bottom