• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

First Scuba Trip, What to bring?

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by doghouse, Feb 3, 2008.

1. doghouse

doghouse Barracuda

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    My wife (a non diver) gave us a gift of a trip to Cancun for V-day.

She is even going to let me go diving while we are there :D!

So I am trying to figure what to pack. I want to take my own Regulator / computer setup, knife (I like it because it is small!), and I intend to take my own basic gear.

I have a 3/2 shortie which I was planning on packing, but do I need one? (Used to diving 3/2 full in 65 or more.

My question is, should I bring my BC or rent?
    How much is rental in general?
    I was planning on contacting MAD, but after 2 e-mails I have not heard anything back.

For extras, I am packing a few blank dvd's to record the pic's to and a pack of lithium batteries.

I am trying to figure out the best way to balance weight and still be prepared, so please give me your suggestions. Is there anything that I should make sure I do not forget to bring. (besides my dan and aow cards)

Thanks

2. Daxter

Daxter Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Doghouse, Ben should be getting back to you soon he is usualy very quick in responding make sure you dont have an e-mail address that is gettting blocked or is blocking a responce( I have this problem when I try to receive e-mails from Blue xt-sea on cozumel, stupid comcast).

You wont need the knife as yoou are diving in a marine park( knifes not allowed ). We dove in Cancun in Nov. we had 3/2 mm full suits w/hood but there were people that had shorties. I dive dry at home and have found that since going dry my tolrance for cold in a wetsuit has gone way down. Next trip to Coz. in April will be in a 5/4/3.

We take all diving gear with us you should be able to check 2 bags if you need but for 1 week my wife and I can take 2 sets of gear plus clothes in 2 checked bags and 2 carry-ons. Hope this helps. MAD is a great dive op.

Tom

3. Spratman

Spratman Loggerhead Turtle

It differs by individual, but I always take my own gear. I take everything except weights. Ben has good equipment, but I still prefer my own. I take my BP/W, two sets of regs, computers, mask, fins, zip ties (emergency fixer uppers), first aid kit, plus my clothes and shoes. I'm just skating under 50lbs everytime. Biggest problem I have is adjusting my equipment for the AL80's. I dive HP120's here.

I've dove down there in Aug twice and July once and Nov once. It is bearable but the water temp during the summer is around 72-76. On a night dive, you'll be glad you have it.

Ben's been down in Tulum for his girlfriend's birthday. He's back now, and will answer your emails shortly.

If I can answer any other questions, PM me.

Dive safe!

4. doghouse

doghouse Barracuda

Well the night dive has been ax'ed. SWMBO wants some time together. So I get 2 morning outings.

OK, thanks for the tip, NO KNIFE. I can leave that at home.

Any thought or suggestions about Cancun? We are staying in Quintana Roo at an all inclusive adults only resort.

5. reefdvr

reefdvr Photographer

I usually take all my gear except weights.

6. Spratman

Spratman Loggerhead Turtle

Too bad about the night dive. Two very nice restaurants downtown to check out....La Parilla and La Placitas. They are on the same street a couple of blocks apart. Ask Ben, he can give you some nice places for a night with momma. :D

7. doghouse

doghouse Barracuda

Thanks, Will do.

8. maxguru

maxguru Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Here's the list I use to pack for a week in Bonaire. My buddy and I take our own food, so we don't waste time in the Cultimara Grocery Store when we could be underwater. That's why the last part of the list seems like a junk food nightmare. Let me know if you have questions about what some of this stuff might be, or why some items are on the list.

Max
    MSDT 198186
    Southeastern Divers
    Southeastern Divers Home Page
    256 536 8404

Travel Items

Passport
    Vouchers
    Travel Case
    Headphones
    Airplane Headphone Adapter
    Forms

Personal Items

Razor
    Tweezers
    Fingernail clipper
    Toothbrush
    Shorts (2)
    Underwear (2)
    Sleeping Shorts(2)
    T-Shirts(8)
    Crocs
    Hat
    Laptop
    Compact Flash Adapter
    Laptop Power Adapter
    Trackball
    Sunglasses
    Blank DVDs

Dive Items

Dive Log
    C-Cards
    BCD
    Regulator
    Mask(2)
    Fins
    Booties
    Shorty Wetsuit (2)
    Cobra
    D9
    Primary Dive Lite
    Secondary Dive Lite
    Laser Sticks (4)
    Tank Banger
    Spare Cobra Batteries
    Truck Marker Lights
    Underwater Paper
    Pencil
    Wire Cutters
    Zip Ties
    Anti-fog
    Dive Tool
    Dive Knife
    Bathing Suits (3)
    O-Rings
    Mesh Bag
    Dive Wallet
    Hex Wrenches
    D9 Elastomer Band
    D9 Strap Extender
    Instructor Slates
    Whistle
    Mirror
    O-Ring "Tank"
    Padlock (2)
    Nitrox Analyzer
    AOW Slates
    Rescue Slates

Food & Disposables

Bread
    Snack Bars
    Ice Cube Trays
    Sports bottles
    Beanie Weenies
    Ravioli
    Chunky Soups
    Noodle Cups
    Crackers
    Peanut butter
    Jelly
    Lemonade
    Fruit Cups
    Soft Cooler
    Plastic Flatware
    Mosquito Spray
    C Batteries
    Laser Stick Batteries
    Mosquito Coil
    Shaving Cream
    Shampoo
    Deodorant
    Tooth Flossers
    Airplane Books
    Soap
    Body Glide
    Daily Medications
    Decongestants
    Q-tips
    Toothpaste
    Toothpicks
    SDI T-Shirt
    Wooden Matches

9. alwaysdiving

alwaysdiving Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Hello doghouse, I´ll recomend to bring bc, reg, shoty ws, mask, snorkel and fins, about tanks and weights, we provide you.
    However, if you are planing to dive in any of the wrecks that we have here, I higly recomend bring a full wet suit, that is going to help you to, in case you want to do a cenote dive.
    Check my web site alwaysdiving.com // BUCEO PROFESIONAL - PROFESSIONAL SCUBA DIVING // BIENVENIDO - WELCOME I´ve been living in this area for 28 years, teaching and doing scuba diving, and if you want to do a ocean or cenote dive count on me.
    Regards.
    ¡¡¡keep your bubbles up!!!