First regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wooju

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,
I am planning to buy my first regulator set, but will go with the used equipment to start with.

I came across a set with XTX200 1st and 2nd stage and ATX40 as backup for reasonable price. (I do not need such expensive/advanced kit, but this is what I found that is not too old). Owner said he has done 800+ dives on it and also sent me some more photos, one of which shows the condition of the 1st stage - tank screw. He assures me the kit was serviced regularly and last services was in 2019.

Could you please advise if (generally speaking, and not only based on the above kit):
1. 800 dives is a lot for a reg,
2. It is just a lime scale, oxidation on the screw which can be cleaned, or is it actually damaged?

Thank you in advance,
Peter

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-03 151303.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-03 151303.png
    134.9 KB · Views: 25
That crust on the DIN screw is typical and if it ever becomes a problem, the DIN screw can easily be replaced.

A well-maintained regulator can last a lifetime so 800+ dives shouldn't be a deal-breaker, however, the fact that it hasn't been serviced in 5 years concerns me.

Factor in the cost of a complete overhaul service into the price to determine if its a good deal.

If the DIN attachment looks like that, which is not typical, it is not a well maintained regulator. A well maintained regulator with 800 dives will not look like that.

While the DIN threads are exposed to water and can get mineral build up the inlet nipple is not (or should not be). Given the inlet nipple is crustier than the threads that mean it too has been exposed to water. That means the inside of the regulator was likely exposed to water.

Regs such as this one when cleaned will typically come out of the bath without the mineral build up but also with a loss of chrome plating. A lot of loss of chrome plating. Functionally it is not a problem but then the reg is even more susceptible to corrosion.

I would skip the reg and continue your search as you want a much cleaner reg to start with.

Thank you for your feedback.

The total cost (reg with service) would be around £280, so no too bad I think. That said, I'd rather spend a bit more so it lasts...

One more question, you mentioned that you are concerned about the lack of service for 5 years. Does it mean that the reg condition deteriorates more while not in use?

One more question, you mentioned that you are concerned about the lack of service for 5 years. Does it mean that the reg condition deteriorates more while not in use?
No, I don't think it deteriorates necessarily as long as there is no water in it. But routine service means that the regulator should be serviced at least once every year or every other year (depending on the model).

Both @arkstorm and @Scared Silly present valid points, if you were looking for a reg to service yourself I’d say it’s an ok (not great) deal for 280£, but I think I have seem better (as I recent self identified with used reg buying addiction) I think the only regs that had such a state on the DIN stems I only saw on 1st stages that I got for 30-60€ so I’d say wait and keep looking

No, I don't think it deteriorates necessarily as long as there is no water in it. But routine service means that the regulator should be serviced at least once every year or every other year (depending on the model).

Orings and soft parts (seats) also harden so that can gunk up the innards of a reg along with the cristo/silicone grease, I wouldn’t fully agree - water damage certainly can make it more drastic but not the only thing to watch out for

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom