First regulator purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first reg purchase was last year and before that I tried many different brands of rentals. I went with the HOG D1 single tank package and love them. Definitely best bang for the buck, and the maintenance schedule is easier on the wallet too. Let us know what you go with.

You can still find brand new scubapro mk25/s600 setups from 2012 in the $400 range. A scubapro rep posted on this forum validating that authorized resellers were legitimately selling them for that price due to a cosmetic change for 2013. Good reg for a great price while they are available. I just got my first regulator two weeks ago and this is what I got. Search google for mk26/s600 2012 and then make sure the site you find is an authorized dealer (so you get your lifetime warranty).

No doubt HOG is good, best bang for the buck, it is a good choice for new diver if your LDS support it. If not, I would also argue it is not the best choice for new divers. One is new divers are not likely to service their own reg. Even for HOG, you need some tech crudential to enroll in their service class.

To say mail regulator out is the same as having local support is so far from the true. With local support, if you ever have issue with the reg, you can walk in, show the tech the issue, explain in detail how to reproduce it or even reproduce it in front of the tech. If the reg needs service, sure it will take some time. But chances are it will need a 5 minutes adjustment. You are in, out, done, head for diving.

Without LDs support, you have to mail out the reg, explain thing in email or best through phone. A 5 minute adjustment takes 2 weeks to turn around. And chanes are the reg didn't work right when it return from service. Then what, sent out again??? I expericenced this myself first hand. Chris and Mike provided superb support, but nonethless, it is very frustrating and inconvinient.

As for Din vs Yoke. I think first reg should be Yoke. It is alot more convinient because you can rent yoke tank anywhere in the world, not so true for Din tank. Yeah there is the adaptor, but if the adaptor is on 100% of the time, why even bother with it. Also, depend on diver's physique, the adatper push the 1st stage 1-1.5" toward diver's head. It can be very uncomfortable depend on the diver. This is also my first hand experience.

just remember those scubapro regs dont have lifetime parts anymore unless you get them with a bcd and computer...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom