First regs for sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The main issue will be where you get your regs serviced. Do you have a local Apeks dealer? If not, then you need to take into account having to ship your regs out and paying for shipping both ways. And finding a shop that will deal with that in a timely manner. Most regs are made in one of the same factories and are not much different from each other. My preferred regs are Aqualung Legends but I bought them at keyman several years ago and I have sources for service kits so I can service them myself. If I were to lose my sources I would have to sell them because I'm not about to let anyone else service my regs. (Well, there are a couple people I might let service them.)

HOGs are good regs. I have a few sets I've been diving for about 5 years now and haven't had any issues with them. And they see some abuse. Probably not as much as a rental fleet. I'm interested in knowing how they are "breaking". I also have some Dive Rite regs I've been using for several years. Again, no issues with them. And Dive Rite is quick to offer great customer service if they sell gear with defects.

It's all a matter of personal choice. And there are a lot of factors to consider.

That is a good point. Although I am new to diving I would want to service my own regs. I know it's not much but I spent a good amount of time helping my OW and AOW instructor service Aqua lung first and second stages, and a few tank valves. I'd need to learn some more to do it on different regs and get the parts but I want to be responsible for something as important as my regs.. There is an Apeks dealer about 30 minutes away, he is offering me the Apeks side mount kit for 1250, he has a very small shop but I guess he would be able to service my regs or could I get apeks parts through him?

I'll research this now..

The DS4 suggestion stems from the price concern raised by the op. You can find the DS4 with an ATX 40 2nd stage and short hose for the same price as a standalone DST. DS4 also is that little bit easier to service with one less o-ring and less moving parts. Seems like a no brainer to me for the right post where the turret is not needed.
As for the second stages, having two different models can be an advantage. I dive with an ATX100 on the left post and an XTX50 on the right post. The dissimilar models are another aid to remember what tank I'm breathing off. Could be useful the day **** hits...
For the hp hoses, i use a 6 inch on the right post and an 8 inch on the left post. The longer hose helps with positioning the gauge where i can see it just by looking down on the more cluttered first stage.

So here's the deal. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Apeks xtx50 or Hog D1

I live in NY and my LDS is offering me the Apeks xtx50/dst sidemount kit for $1250, first service for free, and after that it'll be $150 to get the whole kit serviced. I might also buy a computer from them so they might offer another discount on that.

Or I can order the HOG D1 cold water sidmeount kit, 2" black spgs, and reg bag from Cave Adventurers for $600. There is also a HOG dealer in Montreal, where I will be attending college, so I can get them serviced there or even take the technician course at some point.

Both seem like good options. My LDS is offering an actual deal, but is still double the price of HOGs - it seems to me servicing either will be simple enough. I do remember using HOG's (has red where teeth go on mouthpiece, right?) as rentals once, though, and not liking them - the mouthpiece was really flimsy and always got caught on my mouth when trying to put it in ( can change mouthpiece right?), and it freeflowed frequently when taking it out to change regs ( this can be adjusted, no?)

I use HOGs have no issue and you can get Edd's package deal, why hesitate. By the way, I would suggest that diving in the GL basin you might opt for the cold-water package on the D1s... a bit more expensive but probably worth it for you.

Hogs breathe fine, require a little more frequent maintenance, and I like the company and philosophy of the owner. Nothing wrong with Apeks. Great regs also, have em on my rebreather. If you have the dough, buy the more expensive regs. If you don't, there's nothing wrong with a D1.

apeks price seems to be on the higher side. NESS had a single reg for under 450 IIRC. the service price i also high. I pay $100 for my wife's set of TEK 3

I use HOGs have no issue and you can get Edd's package deal, why hesitate. By the way, I would suggest that diving in the GL basin you might opt for the cold-water package on the D1s... a bit more expensive but probably worth it for you.

What is GL basin? And, I did say it was the cold water D1's

apeks price seems to be on the higher side. NESS had a single reg for under 450 IIRC. the service price i also high. I pay $100 for my wife's set of TEK 3

I see the XTX50 for $550 (and I would have to pay more to get 5th port, right?) on NESS, xtx40 is 495. Just to make sure i'm clear, this is the sidemount kit - xtx50 / dst with 5th port, 2 spg's, and long and short reg hose. Sells for 1450 online. By "set" you mean only 2 stages, right? It would be $150 total to get my 2 first and 2 second stages serviced.

What is GL basin? And, I did say it was the cold water D1's

I see the XTX50 for $550 (and I would have to pay more to get 5th port, right?) on NESS, xtx40 is 495. Just to make sure i'm clear, this is the sidemount kit - xtx50 / dst with 5th port, 2 spg's, and long and short reg hose. Sells for 1450 online. By "set" you mean only 2 stages, right? It would be $150 total to get my 2 first and 2 second stages serviced.

I guess the prices now went up as the season has started. they were lower in winter.
TEK3 set is a double set. two first and two seconds. So 4 stages in total. $25/stage. $150 especially in NY seems to be on a higher side.

If you can spent that amount I would go with Apeks.

Great Lakes Basin. And how about this, with the new D3 & Zenith second coming out HOG is running a special. Through it's dealers like yours truly, a D1 cold and Classic second for a map price of $249.99.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Zeagle FH7's are lighter & smaller. Port routing on DS4 is a joke IMO for sidemount.

2 zeagles:
main - straight down
gauge - straight down 9" and sits under the first elastic perfectly against tank (I dislike button gauges)
inflator - 45deg down port for 2nd bladder, and top port for primary bladder, some route down and under strap..
drysuit - omni at 90deg, which lets me use an inflator or drysuit.. the omni also lets me feel it easily at any angle

I like everything running down my tanks, and when I dismount everything is neat and tidy without hose spaghetti.

In the scheme of things... the cost of the regs is negligible.. get what you want. If you really want to put tacks to it.. the FH7 with the apeks XTX50 is the best combo as the FH7 1st are awesome/bulletproof/compact, and the apeks XTX50 breathes a little smoother than the zeagle 2nd. Hog and DR are nice Chinese regs that preform well for what they are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom