First Rebreather Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no idea how you pull a BOV down and to pop in a necklace unless your loop hoses are crazy long somehow

Also why?
Why? Because muscle memory and training. Coming from BM doubles, having a necklace regulator is second nature. I also have no issues switching between my BOV and necklace.

Why? Because muscle memory and training. Coming from BM doubles, having a necklace regulator is second nature. I also have no issues switching between my BOV and necklace.
Then just use a DSV and the necklace. There's no need for the BOV for you

There is a need for a donatable 2nd stage which would be your 3rd 2nd stage attached to that BO.

Necklace/gag strap on the loop…

Used the gag strap on the loop for years until I moved to a necklaced bailout regulator (with right angle adapter). The loop necklace just gets in the way and especially when using a helmet in overhead environments.

Found I was happier with no loop gag strap and switching to the necklaced bailout was very simple.

My bailout necklace is a modified rubber necklace — took a longer one with breaks and replaced the back of the neck part with a bungee which is adjustable for length. This the regulator mouthpiece easily slips into the rubber mouthpiece holder and the necklace circumference is adjusted so the necklaced regulator doesn’t dangle excessively.

Main benefit of the rubber necklace is the regulator is very easily pulled out from the rubber necklace when stowing the regulator back on the stage before surfacing, or in the extremely unlikely circumstance of having to donate bailout to an OOG diver.

I've been on the fence about buying a gag strap. Seems like it's still a debated topic even after the data from RF4. I have a BOV and offboard it to my bailout so I don't see many reasons to not have the gag strap with that configuration outside of having to get used to a new piece of equipment. Are there any downsides to utilizing a gag strap in your opinion?
The only downside is having a gag strap and not practicing/re-learning your emergency procedures.

I've dived with and without a gag strap, and I prefer the gag strap option. There is significantly less fatigue on 2-3 hour dives, especially if you're on a scooter. However, you will get in trouble if you don't practice and make strap/loop removal a unitary operation. I typically start from the back of my head, swipe the hand down to remove the strap and close the loop in a single motion (rEvo DSV, so it is a lever).

Really, it is all about a personal preference. I prefer less fatigue.

To the OP...
We are getting into the typical SB bantering about all the different ways things can be done. Hopefully you have picked up a couple of things.
  • Some sort of HUD is highly recommended, if not nearly mandatory.
  • The DSV/BOV fight will go on forever. Have a talk with who you are going to use as an instructor. Remember that it can be changed later.

I have no idea how you pull a BOV down and to pop in a necklace unless your loop hoses are crazy long somehow
When i have my fathom set up in the tech configuration (onboard 50s) I have a necklaced reg and a 7 foot hose. I have zero issues. But I also still use the first generation length loop hoses Charlie put on the units that are longer than the current ones he puts on them. I went to the shorter ones and actually didn't like them as much.
Here is literally the one scenario I ever used the bungeed reg because I've never had a caustic. Doing a dive at orange grove I got some duckweed in my bov that I thougth I got out before heading down for the dive. After about 200ft into the cave I realized some of it was still there and annoying the hell out of me. Switched to necklace and purged and shook the bov for a few minutes and got the duckweed out. But yeah, I doubt I will ever need that necklaced reg, but at least for me its easy to use with the loop

When i have my fathom set up in the tech configuration (onboard 50s) I have a necklaced reg and a 7 foot hose. I have zero issues. But I also still use the first generation length loop hoses Charlie put on the units that are longer than the current ones he puts on them. I went to the shorter ones and actually didn't like them as much.
Here is literally the one scenario I ever used the bungeed reg because I've never had a caustic. Doing a dive at orange grove I got some duckweed in my bov that I thougth I got out before heading down for the dive. After about 200ft into the cave I realized some of it was still there and annoying the hell out of me. Switched to necklace and purged and shook the bov for a few minutes and got the duckweed out. But yeah, I doubt I will ever need that necklaced reg, but at least for me its easy to use with the loop
I didn't realize that the hitch was having enough room to have both with proper access IE hose length of the loop.

I'd surmise that you are plumbing the necklace into the left post and the BOV into the Mav as standard.

Interesting thought. What's one more goddamn hose 😅

I'd surmise that you are plumbing the necklace into the left post and the BOV into the Mav as standard.

😅
Yep. Onboard dil is setup just like standard doubles. Just have the extra hose feeding the mav, and bov feeds off the mav.

Yep. Onboard dil is setup just like standard doubles. Just have the extra hose feeding the mav, and bov feeds off the mav.
Obviously with your “large” dil-out gas volume with your manifolded 7 litre configuration it is OK to drive your BOV from the dil-out.

It gives me the heebiegeebies to see people connecting their BOV to their 3 litre diluent bottle. Within a few breaths they would empty their diluent, simultaneously loosing breathing gas, loop inflation gas and wing inflate.

Alas there’s no talking to some who use this configuration who have not practiced using a standard bailout until it’s second nature…

Double plus bad is there’s been a recent death due to just this issue.

It gives me the heebiegeebies to see people connecting their BOV to their 3 litre diluent bottle. Within a few breaths they would empty their diluent, simultaneously loosing breathing gas, loop inflation gas and wing inflate.
Double plus bad is there’s been a recent death due to just this issue.
Can you point me and other people to description of this accident?

Back
Top Bottom