First Rebreather Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve a Petrel 2 and a Nerd 2. I’d definitely be wary of diving without something in my face as it isn’t just for alerts, it is for constant monitoring.

Let’s face it, a haptic alert is like being slapped around the face with a fish for not monitoring your system. (Cue Monty Python fish slapping dance)

There are Huds and Nerds. The Nerd is a face computer. A traditional Hud is a few Led lights, and falls into the fish face slapping category you outline just like haptics. Zero difference.

I'm confused about how you didn't come to the same conclusion. Please explain!
the hud and handset don't fall into the same category. there was a lot of discussion about that just a few years ago after at least one fatality. hopefully you're not an instructor because i think it's a dangerous thing to teach new rebreather divers otherwise

I’m
the hud and handset don't fall into the same category. there was a lot of discussion about that just a few years ago after at least one fatality. hopefully you're not an instructor because i think it's a dangerous thing to teach new rebreather divers otherwise

Im for sure going with the HUD.

My issue is still on the DSV/BOV. I am now reading the thread on the 'Gag Straps' and am leaning more toward a BOV and gag.

I’m

Im for sure going with the HUD.

My issue is still on the DSV/BOV. I am now reading the thread on the 'Gag Straps' and am leaning more toward a BOV and gag.
i use a bov and always have, to me it would feel like i was sacrificing some safety margin switching to a dsv. i heard from one person who had to bail to a necklace reg from a dsv during a co2 hit, said they almost drowned doing it. that was enough for me to feel confident in my decision. I also dive with a long hose clipped off to my right chest d-ring so i have another way to access bottom gas if i had to bailout because of a caustic or something

That's not an answer or explanation as to why a haptic alert is less useful than a red led on a Hud. Same function, different mechanism. Please educate us if there is a good rationale.

Answering with a put-down is just poor etiquette.

Get a HUD. Haptic feedback is good, but your buddies will not notice it. However, they will notice your HUD status when you fail to adjust your PPO2.

If you have $, get two HUDs (one as a backup) or a NERD and a HUD as a backup.

That's not an answer or explanation as to why a haptic alert is less useful than a red led on a Hud. Same function, different mechanism. Please educate us if there is a good rationale.

Answering with a put-down is just poor etiquette.
it would take too long to rehash the entire argument from two years back and i doubt you'd listen anyways so i'm not going to bother. I really doubt that any new or prospective rebreather diver would arrive at the conclusion that not having a hud is somehow as safe, or safer than having one. I suspect the only ones who arrive there do so because they are misled by instructors who tell them it's fine.

i use a bov and always have, to me it would feel like i was sacrificing some safety margin switching to a dsv. i heard from one person who had to bail to a necklace reg from a dsv during a co2 hit, said they almost drowned doing it. that was enough for me to feel confident in my decision. I also dive with a long hose clipped off to my right chest d-ring so i have another way to access bottom gas if i had to bailout because of a caustic or something

I had the exact opposite experience.
When I got a co2 hit at 300ft deep in a cave my brain rejected the bov as a safe source of gas. I had to deploy a hose from one of my sm tanks.

I switched to a dsv/necklace afterwards.

Ether one is a suitable option, as long as there's a proper oc reg near your mouth at all times.

Back
Top Bottom