First pools dives last night!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

motoxmann

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I posted earlier asking about dive shops to get an OW cert, and decided on Dans. Just wanted to update our progress.

We started last Wednesday, with the first two classes just being "class" sessions. Our group is very small, just my girlfriend and I and one other guy. There are several DM's in addition to our instructor (Tom Yang by the way. Great guy very knowledgeable and friendly) so we're pretty much getting one on one instruction.

I have to say, even though it was just a pool session, I might be hooked. Breathing underwater was probably one of the coolest feelings I've ever experienced. Buoyancy was kind of a PITA, partially due to the fact that he weighted us down pretty heavily so we'd be able to stay down and do the skills. But in the next class we're going to get properly weighted so that should help. It's supposed to be a three week class, but since there's so few of us and we all progressed really quickly I think we're going to go to Monterey next weekend! We're all pretty excited.

One question though. My girlfriend was having the hardest time equalizing in the pool. She could get one ear to equalize no problem but couldn't really get the other. Even out of the pool she would hold her nose and blow and only one ear would "pop" easily, and for the other she had to blow pretty hard. Anyone have a similar problem or have any ideas that may help? I've looked into it a little and the general consensus seems to be that everyones different and some take awhile to find a method that works. She's a little concerned because if she cant do it in 10 feet of water then the checkout dives would seem like a no go.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, thanks again for all the suggestions about the shops. So far we're totally happy with Dans!

Andy

Try some OTC ear wax remover. Worked wonders from a current student of mine.

It's not uncommon for one ear to clear more easily than the other, and it's also not uncommon at all to have difficulty clearing. It takes a bit of practice to learn how hard to valsalva (and how hard is too hard), but some good advice is to do what she is doing already - practice on dry land and while she's at the surface, and start clearing immediately when she descends, even before her head submerges. Waiting until you're even just 2-3 feet under can be enough to increase the pressure to the point where narrow tubes block up.

I too have that problem. I sometimes find that turning the non-popping ear upwards (towards the surface) can sometimes help. Also, as someone kind of mentioned, prepping your ears by cleaning on the surface throughout the day before a dive can help. If I am going to be doing a lot of diving, I will start the night before, do a couple clears and then do it again about every hour the day of. Just helps to get them ready for needing to do it "under pressure."

Glad to hear that you two are in a good class with alot of instructor time. Hope that you all continue to enjoy it!!

So heres a little of what I can offer.

The first 10 feet are usually the worst part of equalizing. That being said sometimes sinus congestion can play a big factor in not only feeling sinus pressure but allowing your ears to equalize. I have personally run into instances where I have had to sometimes pinch my nose and blow somewhat hard to get the whole sinus to equalize.

You will learn in your Nitrox Class (if/when) to stay away from medications containing Sudafedrin as its believed it can contribute to Oxygen Toxicity. Granted thats not really a concern when diving with air, but it wearing off could cause congestion to return. Im sure you will learn this in your class.

thanks for the replies. She was able to get the one ear to "pop" when we got back home, but she had to blow pretty hard. She's afraid to blow to hard because she doesn't want to damage her ear. Hopefully when we get in the pool next week she'll be able to work on it some more.

thanks for the replies. She was able to get the one ear to "pop" when we got back home, but she had to blow pretty hard. She's afraid to blow to hard because she doesn't want to damage her ear. Hopefully when we get in the pool next week she'll be able to work on it some more.

Welcome to the underwater world!

I have a problem with one of my ears too. I always work on clearing on the surface, then clearing early and often when decending. I've also found I have to be vertical on decent or I have a harder time to clear and the first dive of the day is always the hardest. I found some great info here Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page. The video is a little long but pretty interesting.

......One question though. My girlfriend was having the hardest time equalizing in the pool. She could get one ear to equalize no problem but couldn't really get the other. Even out of the pool she would hold her nose and blow and only one ear would "pop" easily, and for the other she had to blow pretty hard. Anyone have a similar problem or have any ideas that may help? I've looked into it a little and the general consensus seems to be that everyones different and some take awhile to find a method that works. She's a little concerned because if she cant do it in 10 feet of water then the checkout dives would seem like a no go.

we had the kids in the pool on the weekend, almitychild (15) doing a refresher and almityboy (12) did a discover scuba before he starts his jnr ow (my hubby is an instructor)

after a heap of skills at 1mtr/3ft, we were allowed to go deeper (3mtrs/9ft) and almityboy was having issues with one ear only

went to the surface and hubby tells us that on discovers when the students are in and out of the water alot he finds its quite common for the diver to have an issue with one ear so its best to wait, try again in the shallow and wait again. we gave it about 5 mins while playing underwater in the shallow and then almityboy gave us the signal that suddenly it poped and he was ready to try again

patience and dont hurt yourself in trying to make it happen

cheers goodluck!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom