first pics with S70....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPX28

Reaction score
well here are some of the first pics i took with my new Cannon S70. I followed the good of advice of the pople on this board and i am messing around with it on land first.

Soon i will be getting the housing for it and heading to the beach, but untilo then i ma staying dry

anyways i have been messing around with it (mostly on full auto) and was wondering what advice you guys had to improve on the pics. I havn't photoshopped them except to resize them ( and i cropped the grass hopper) Any suggestions on how to improve the quality of the image or the composition????

I couldn't post pics in the thread but they are in my Gallery
ALL suggestions and comments welcome!!

Nice shots. One piece of advice, force the flash On. The gresshopper would have been better with more light from the front. For macro shots even in daylight I always use the flash, this is even more true UW.

Thanks for the link!

Looks like you are really experimenting with different distances and compositions - great practice for underwater.

I would definitely be using this practice time to learn manual, though.

For your close ups, try f8 - you should get really nice sharp details in your focus area and the backgrounds will be blurred out and less distracting. You can also leave the internal flash on and up your shutter speed to darken the background.

For your mid range shots, I would start around f 4.5 or 5.6.

Experiment - try a wide range of settings on a static subject (that rose for example) and see what happens.

Look forward to seeing more!!

CAPX28:
well here are some of the first pics i took with my new Cannon S70. I followed the good of advice of the pople on this board and i am messing around with it on land first.

Soon i will be getting the housing for it and heading to the beach, but untilo then i ma staying dry

anyways i have been messing around with it (mostly on full auto) and was wondering what advice you guys had to improve on the pics. I havn't photoshopped them except to resize them ( and i cropped the grass hopper) Any suggestions on how to improve the quality of the image or the composition????

I couldn't post pics in the thread but they are in my Gallery
ALL suggestions and comments welcome!!

First, you are taking the correct steps by playing with the camera on land and asking questions.

I my first advice, just pretend there is no such thing as Photo Shop or any other photo enhancing software. And your only tool is your skill in delivering an image to the S70s CDD sensor, that’s is EVENLY and PROPERLY exposed, the SHARPEST focus you could possibly achieve with your camera and a pleasing composition with the rule of thirds in mind. And as much as possible CROP in the camera by move in closer, cropping later and blowing up degrades the image.

The grasshopper as an example, a side view shot is good to have (reference books need them) but a head-on frontal face shot with both of the creatures eyes staring at you gives the picture a bigger PUNCH! The rule on this type of shot is that everything else could be out of focus but the eyes must be RAZOR sharp.

The back of the hopper is over exposed and the bottom half is under exposed, how are you going to fix that? Since the sun (your source of light) is coming from a top, back to front direction (with respect to the lens), maybe we should “bounce” the light back to the under exposed portion of the creature’s body by taping a white piece of cardboard in a 45 degree angle just below the lens. U/W, a strobe will take care of this. Also try APERTURE Priority, where you pick the aperture opening and the camera helps pick out the shutter speed.

Remember the camera’s main job is to RECORD and image, it’s entirely up to you to see if it does the job correctly.

This guy is one of the best, no U/W stuff, but his books on photography will take you from the everyday “snap shooter” to the pros.

http://www.johnshawphoto.com/equipment.htm

And rules to live by:

http://www.betterphoto.com/exploring/tips/thirds.asp

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/8275/47995

http://www.plantea.com/garden-photos-thirds.htm

The hardcore TTL folks will really love this rule of thirds stuff.

Dive Safe

Thanks for the responses!! Alcina i will definatley try more manual mode for practice i just wasn't sure where to begin. I will try the f stop numbers you suggested as a starting point. F3nikkon, GReat links, thank you

I especially like the rule of thirds......so easy to use and keep in mind but WOW what a difference in the overall photo.
This is exactly what i need. Keep the help coming
Thanks again guys!!!

Back to playing with the camera for me :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom