First Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason McK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did the cut at Wytecliff on the week end and saw my very first Octopus. It was just a little guy but it was running across the ledge at about 76 feet. Gave me new hope for shore dives
Very cool.

We also saw some puget sound King crab at about 60 Feet.

Is it just me or is everyone seeing more life in and around the GVRD area

J

Very cool indeed, Jason! I saw my first octopus a few weeks ago in Florida and it was truly an amazing experience! S/he was a tiny little thing and I only saw it uncamoflauged for a second or so but WOW!!! :D I've seen *better* footage on television but since this was my own real-life encounter, it made all the difference. :wink:

The more you dive the more you see. Also, the slower you go the more you see. Look in all the cracks and crevices, that is where I find the good stuff. If the colour of the item you are looking at does not look right, take a closer look, it may be a life form or treasure.

There is a moderate size octo in the bay at Kelvin. Drop in the bay, right side, decend down the wall to about 40 feet, head out for about 50 feet and you will find a nice slanted crevice. The octo is usually near the top (shallower) part of it.

When i was doing my open water at whytecliff a long time ago, i saw a pretty big one and when you're 13.. you're pretty damn scared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom