First Nitrox and computer alarmed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He may just be confused as to when it actually buzzed (that first ascent alarm is only a minute or so after the position he's showing in the log).

I agree, though. An exported log would clarify the issue.

No, he is correct, look at the top right of the screenshot, you can see the indication that the alarm/buzzer was active.

Now I cannot wait to see the file, if he sends it. (I have to get some sleep soon, its midnight here!!)

Regards
Richard

Thanks Blackwood. That makes sense to me now. It was flashing because I was nearing 100 percent of ascent rate. It was confusing to me because sometimes it would flash that cns icon above the rate and I did not realize that it was both o2% and ascent rate. I will go ahead and send the profile to Riger for him to look as well. Like I said in the original post, I think the headache and fatigue was from the conditions and being too negatively wieghted.

Riger- I am at work right now and the file is on my laptop at home. I will try to get my girlfriend to send it to me via email and that would happen in about 15 minutes if she can get it. If not, I will post it tonight. I assume your email address is in your profile.

No, he is correct, look at the top right of the screenshot, you can see the indication that the alarm/buzzer was active.

a'ha

Thanks Blackwood. That makes sense to me now. It was flashing because I was nearing 100 percent of ascent rate. It was confusing to me because sometimes it would flash that cns icon above the rate and I did not realize that it was both o2% and ascent rate.

Cool. Glad we got that cleared up.

I guess that's one of the problems with using these types of displays. Full dot-matrix-style LCDs are more appropriate (albeit expensive) than those shaped like a figure 8 for cramming tons of information into a limited space.

Or, as Mr Carcharodon said, "One more reason to dive gauge mode."

My display isn't cluttered at all:

2874_169105445654_881640654_6845433_5036921_n.jpg

Hi Rusty,

You actually had a number of buzzers on the dive and yes, it certainly looks as though they are all around the high ascent rate %'s.

I have a Uwatec Galileo Sol, so it has a big screen, but looking at the display on your computer, there are 3 items that get shown in that box at various times, %O2 (%), Ascent Rate(%) and CNS(%). No wonder you got confused!! I must say that if you are ever narked or in a stressful situation, I imagine that that could add another log onto the fire of confusion.

I took a long time going through my computer manual, trying to understand exactly what each alarm, warning and setting was for and, as I have dived more with it (now about 50 dives on this computer), I am comfortable that it is as clear to me as I need. When my computer alarms underwater, I pay very close attention to it, actually read aloud in my head what the screen says and walk through the logic in my head (takes only 2-3 seconds of proper focus), so that I can be comfortable that I really understand what it is telling me.

Best Regards

Richard

Last edited:
Thanks again all especially Riger for going through that log. i suppose those rapid ascents were going a few feet up over the deck of the ship to surprise the fish. I always exhlale on those quick little peeks and i guess i thought that was good enough.

I'm thinking about getting a new computer. I will make another post about that and get suggestions. I'm thinking about the data mask with HUD

Rusty,

This is not directed toward you as a criticism, but it's AMAZING how many divers have no command of the functions of their computers.

From what I've observed and overheard on dive boats, most just set the max depth and state that when the computer starts flashing or beeping they come up.

Whatever computer you elect to use, know it inside and out. That's why a manual is included (although some could use a bit of rewriting so that they're understandable).

It's a tool . . . make it work for YOU.

the K

Oh, What I meant to add was that if you move your arm up at a fast-ish rate, that will also cause a high ascent rate.

Best Regards
Richard

Oh, What I meant to add was that if you move your arm up at a fast-ish rate, that will also cause a high ascent rate.

Best Regards
Richard

I have a few hundred dives on various versions of their computers...and not getting an alarm during an accent requires calm seas and a very, very slow raising of your arm (hopefully done while you are stopped).

It is understandable why that would be confusing on the computer in question.

Only thing one should have known is that it could not have been CNS.. but that may also be an experience thing.

If you use the wireless ones.. it is not uncommon to just get little alarms for no obvious reasons...will bet one out of every 5 dives there is a short alarm that makes no sense...I get work load alarms when I am just resting taking pictures.. with a SAC rate of under .4...but the accent alarm, that one happens about 85% of the dives.

Best Regards
Richard
Yep, that annoys me on mine too. Unfortunately I cant disabled the ascent rate alarm. Its also annoying that it gets more sensetive as you get shallower. Makes sense for safety, but I dont need baby sitting on ascending. Just an indicator of speed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom