First Night Dive Pics 17/06/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chippy

Contributor
Reaction score
I had my first ever night dive last at a new site.

I had an excellent dive, and was amazed at all the extra creatures that come out at night - photo opportunities were everywhere, and generally much larger creatures where out.

Thankfully I'd made the decision to take my 24-85mm lens instead of the usual 105mm macro. I found the new AFS lenses autofocus much better and faster in low light compared to the older "D" lenses.

The DS125's were excellent for dive lights too. I used one rigged up to act as the strobe on a single sync lead, and used the other, with the modelling light on, as the dive light/focussing light mounted directly onto the ball mount on the right handle without any arms....worked really well and definately a setup I might use again, when using the slow 70-180mm macro where a focussing light is required.

The only downside, was that I had to rely on the 4 power settings on the strobe as adjustment, as I had to dive with the flooded bulkhead, (replacement should be here in time for tomorrows dive) so no TTL or finer adjustment using the -/+ compensation was available.

The two lads I was diving with had a habit of kicking up quite a bit of sand too, so I had to get shot in quick before the sandstorm arrived, which didn't leave me much time to start fiddling with the strobe power adjustment. I must try and remember to stay in front next time! :wink:

Anyway, the pics....a few new creatures I haven't posted before together with a couple of familiar faces!!

Red-Mullet.jpg

Cuttle.jpg

Smoothhound.jpg

Sole.jpg

Plaice.jpg

Slender-Spider-Crab.jpg

He's kind of a shark as he's in the same sort of family. He's called a smoothhound, a type of dogfish. We saw too of them, but hound no.2 wasn't too keen on having his photo taken!

Unreal pictures, very nice indeed............

They are great..

Excellent pics as always! Love the cuttlefish/squid :)

All are great! I like the cuttlefish the most.

That little fuzzy bit in the last one...some sort of crab?

Great shots, as usual!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom