Question First Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most here would say fit is the most important thing. Place mask on face without the strap around your head. Inhale through the nose and make sure it seals. I you need to pinch your nostrils to equalize, make sure you can easily do that with the mask donned.

@Litefoot is absolutely correct.

In addition, if you are a "nose-breather", which I found out to my dismay that I am - a valved mask makes all the difference in the world.

With a properly fitting mask, every time that I inhaled I'd tighten the fit, and every exhale would break the seal - so I was flooding my mask every single breath. Very disconcerting to a new student. I was fortunate enough that my instructor had a spare valved mask - problem solved.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how to figure that out in advance, other than possibly to test the mask in a pool with a snorkel before trying to dive with it.

You also have to consider what regulator or more important is what mouthpiece you are using. I see many people who try on a mask at the shop even stick there head in a pool and it seals. Then it will leak when they are actually diving as the mouthpiece deforms their upper lip and breaks the seal. So it you can try it with the regulator or mouthpiece you will be using. Just doing the breath in and hold it to your face doesn't get it sometimes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom