First Liveaboard T & C Explorer 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vic K

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just booked our first Liveaboard for this December on T & C Explorer 2. Have been looking into a liveaboard for a while. After doing some research we had narrowed it down to this or Cayman aggressor as we are still relatively newer divers. Thanks to lot of good reviews and posts we picked this boat and are very excited to go. If anyone has any tips please let us know.

The boat swings like crazy on the mooring. If you miss it, don't try to catch it, it will come back around in a few minutes.

At some of the moorings the swing takes you a lot closer to the drop - ask the DM when to splash and save a swim.

A group of us basically lived on the flybridge when not in the water. It's above the sundeck, covered, cushioned benches and tables.Also they stock the small firg up there. I even slept up there twice.

It took me a couple days to realize the gulls waking me uo squawking just off the boat at West Caicos wanted a handout...

Lots of sharks at French Cay. One night we hung off the ladders and watched them feed in the bow lights. Later that night they moved to the stern once the boat was quitet. Kind of cool to stand 5; above feeding reef sharks..

There;s wifi at the dock. I think cell service in some areas - I didn't try.At least 2 nights I ran into Stan the cook on the top deck talking to someone on Provo after we sailed across to West Caicos.

What drrich2 posted is mostly valid. At least 3x we saw the Aggressor on the next mooring over.

If you can, bring cash for the crew tip. In 20's so the purser can give it to them right away.
Otherwise they have to wait for it to be included in their check from corporate.

We had a main deck cabin with two twin beds. Plenty of room between them and we had a corner desk. Plus I thnk there was a closet we never used,. If you're a couple, they push the beds together and the room has even more floor space. The two premium cabins upstairs were even nicer. Only the lower deck cabins had bunks instead of beds but even those are en-suite.

It's a pretty big boat - one of the crew told me it was built to be a liveaboard instead of converted from something else. Only complaint is the shower was for 5' people and I'm 6'3".

No input on the crew as it's all changed since we were on the boat.

You made the better choice - sometimes weather is a factor in whether the Aggressor can cross over to the sister islands in winter - if it cant they do 90% of the same dives you can do via dayboat. In fact I have done some of them they list.

T/C is a lot sharkier also. Plus we saw a lot of rays turtles, and heard dolphins once off West Caicos.

At one site I counted about 25 Stingrays near the mooring. Most with a companion Jack (I think it wa a jack) hovering nearby. If you move slow,they let you get close. Until the tail starts to arch - then back off.

There's some really good macro - little ecosystens around some of the coral heads. A photog on our boat shot a lot of it - a few times I only saw his legs sticking out from under a coral head.

Look for the crew member in white with the clipboard at the arrivals loading area - he'll call in your van. We arrived about noon so they took us to Salt Mills plaza for lunch and our luggage to the boat. Picked us up with the later arrivals. If you want any alcohol/snacks in your room, you'll pass a big IGA market on the drive to the marina - they share the mooring with the police boats so it's safe but there's nothing nearby.
IIEC the boat only provided beer/wine.

And really good food!

Outnound there's wifi in the airport restaurant. If yours
is like our trip they need you off the boat Sat morning around 8 to prep for the next group but most of the flights are later.

Hi Vic,

I've been on the TCEX2 four times and each visit has been nothing but spectacular. My last visit was actually Dec of last year and although conditions were less than stellar due to the crazy hurricanes of 2017, I've always had a high regard and an exceptional experience with the TCEX2 crew.

Here's a more in depth review on one TCEX2 Dec trip of 2016

As for the CA5, I was on this brand new boat this year as well and by far the largest and most luxurious boat in the Caribbean. The diving itself was good but I personally think TC beats out the Cayman Islands for sheer depth and marine life.

@drrich2 always has awesome reviews btw so if you ever need a review, check out his posts.

The boat swings like crazy on the mooring. If you miss it, don't try to catch it, it will come back around in a few minutes.

At some of the moorings the swing takes you a lot closer to the drop - ask the DM when to splash and save a swim.

A group of us basically lived on the flybridge when not in the water. It's above the sundeck, covered, cushioned benches and tables.Also they stock the small firg up there. I even slept up there twice.

It took me a couple days to realize the gulls waking me uo squawking just off the boat at West Caicos wanted a handout...

Lots of sharks at French Cay. One night we hung off the ladders and watched them feed in the bow lights. Later that night they moved to the stern once the boat was quitet. Kind of cool to stand 5; above feeding reef sharks..

There;s wifi at the dock. I think cell service in some areas - I didn't try.At least 2 nights I ran into Stan the cook on the top deck talking to someone on Provo after we sailed across to West Caicos.

What drrich2 posted is mostly valid. At least 3x we saw the Aggressor on the next mooring over.

If you can, bring cash for the crew tip. In 20's so the purser can give it to them right away.
Otherwise they have to wait for it to be included in their check from corporate.

We had a main deck cabin with two twin beds. Plenty of room between them and we had a corner desk. Plus I thnk there was a closet we never used,. If you're a couple, they push the beds together and the room has even more floor space. The two premium cabins upstairs were even nicer. Only the lower deck cabins had bunks instead of beds but even those are en-suite.

It's a pretty big boat - one of the crew told me it was built to be a liveaboard instead of converted from something else. Only complaint is the shower was for 5' people and I'm 6'3".

No input on the crew as it's all changed since we were on the boat.

I am sure opinions will vary widely on this, but in my opinion there is nothing cool about feeding sharks (or wildlife) and certainly not off a dive boat or in dive areas.

I am sure opinions will vary widely on this, but in my opinion there is nothing cool about feeding sharks (or wildlife) and certainly not off a dive boat or in dive areas.
The boat (or more accurately the crew) do not feed the sharks, but the sharks have to eat and they feed at night. You can watch them while they are feeding. (That is the time that the sharks feed. They are not being fed.)

@Vic K IMHO, you picked a great boat for your first LOB. I was on her a few years ago and it was a great trip. The boat will never be mistaken for a "5 Star Resort", but within a few minutes of boarding her, she will feel like home. The crew is great and the dive briefings are among the best I have ever seen.

As mentioned above, if the boat isn't where you left it at the end of the dive it will be back in a few minutes. (The "flip side" of that is that if you hang on to the "trapeze" for your safety stop, it is a fun ride.)

Most of the dives will be fairly similar. Hit the water over sandy flats at about 60 feet and swim to the wall that drops off into the abyss. Expect to see reef sharks almost every day as well as a lot of nurse sharks.

Have fun.

What Hoag said ^^^ - you've misunderstood my post.

The sharks were not fed - they fed on smaller fish attracted by the ships bow lights. I don't believe even the edible garbage was jettisoned - which I have witnessed on another boat.

There was no feeding on that trip. At most sites the sharks seemed pretty oblivious to the divers. Except one spotted nurse shark that followed several of us arond at one mooring.

Back
Top Bottom