First Liveaboard (Blackbeards) - What to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been on 5 Blackbeard trips and the main thing you can expect is to have a great time. I have been on many liveaboards and Blackbeards are always the most fun! You become fast friends with all the passengers and crew.

I always tell people that Blackbeards is like campling on the water. Expect to have no privacy (except for your bunk curtain) and no space for keeping things. There will be a small shelf in your bunk, but most of your personal belongings will be kept on your bed. Depending on which bunk you are in depends on the amount of space you have.

- One thing I have always found helpful is keep your clothes in a tote bag (or similar) so they are contained. Bring an extra tote bag to take your items with you when you take a shower at the end of the day.

- I also always bring extra hangers.

- Bring some large zip lock bags to keep things dry when you are up on deck (including camera, book, dive log, etc.).

- Bring your own plastic cup with a lid (I have one for both hot and cold).

- Make sure to bring your own towels since these are not provided.

- I bring a water bottle that closes to keep in my bunk, just in case you need some in the middle of the night then you don't have to get up.

- A dry jacket... it can get wet when you are moving (or you just stay down below).

- You can hang your bathing suits/towels/wet suits over the life lines to dry. You might want to bring you own clips. They always have some, but I like to have my own.

These boats are older and things do break down on them. Just remember to tell the crew if something breaks, they will get it fixed ASAP. And remember to have a great time!! Blackbeard's is a blast!!

Lisa

My first Liveaboard was Blackbeard's. RJP covers it extremely well. Let me put it to you this way. When I went on Blackbeard's, it was kind of like camping in the ocean. Yes, you do have a limited amount of fresh water to bathe in, but the diving and the crew are so good, you will not mind at all. I went so long ago (1986), we left from Miami, which made for a tough crossing from Miami to Bimini. Sounds like they have changed a lot (leaving from Nassau), and I'm sure they have changed many things for the better. I know you are going to have fun.

I did a Liveaboad in th GBR, which made their own water, so they were showering you down with fresh water after you got out. They did give you a vinegar washdown too (before the freshwater) due to the jellyfish. It's all give and take.............

My other Liveaboard was in the Dry Tortugas, which made their own freshwater. They had to, since it was a spearfishing trip, they needed lots of ice to keep our catch fresh. Liveaboard # 2 & #3 were very expensive, where Blackbeard's is very reasonable.

Bottom line is you are going to have a blast. Lots of diving, if you want it. Lobster diving on snorkels (Bahamas law I believe), beach picnics, and some really great diving. Good food too. But you will be so hungry between dives, everything tastes good (I even ate Hot Dogs like they were going out of style - and I hate them!). Have a great time, and safe diving to you.

Last edited:
Blackbeards is not your usual dive boat. It is a motor sailor and it is pretty slow, on a good trip you will get 18 dives including night dives. Take a seat cushion like the ones at a ball game, our they sell them, as the "Horse shoe" seating is just a fiberglass bench where you store your gear. Take a mesh bag and some good clips for the rail. Everything on a Blackbeards cruise will get WET so be prepared for that and take a dry bag for cameras etc, you want to take on shore trips etc. Fish a lot, the crew will help and the fish will be fresh for dinner:wink: Take a hat that will give you a lot of shade as there is very little to be had. You will be bare foot most of the time, but the keys are rough, and hard on feet. When you first get on board grab a locker where you want to be on the boat and get your weights so you have a good choice, they are kept at the front of the Horse shoe next to the Eperb. Unpack everything as they will store your luggage at the dock, so don't forget anything and pack as light as possible. 2 bathing suites and three T-shirts a pair of shorts is about all you'll need for the week. Maybe a wind breaker if you get cold, but more is too much:wink: You will have a good time if you keep a good attitude and a "No worries" theme!

Hey have any of you Blackbearder's stayed at this hotel? its Right across the street from the Marina where Blackbeards boats depart from, and has a strip-mall shopping plaza next to it, sounds like a Perfect location. I've done a cursory search on hotel reviews and the majority of them Dont like this place...

I'm only gonna be there for one night so I'm willing to "suck it up" for its good location, but anyone have any input on this place ?

I've taken a look at the Red Carpet Inn's reviews too. I figured on staying there until I checked the reviews again a week or 2 ago but the reviews seem to have gotten worse since I last looked at them a few months ago.

I have done three liveaboards on the Nekton before I did Blackbeards. If you think about it, the Pirate is a 64 foot boat with about 21 people on it so think beyond cramped. You have no place to eat other than the benches and 1 shower for all those people. The only "space" that is yours is your tiny locker for your dive gear and your sleeping bunk. Your sleeping arrangements is 8 people to a "quarter" bunk style, side by side and you share 1 head for those 8 people. You have absolutely no shade to speak of so a hat etc is a must. Did I say that your spare clothes share the same sleeping bunk that you are in? Take what you think you would bring and only bring half. Bring a long sleeve shirt and wear it everyday. BUT I had a blast! The bad thing about the "roomer" boats is that I experienced "couple land" and being a single diver, at times felt like a third wheel. Mayby because of the cramped quarters, I dont know but I never felt such instant friendship as I did on the Pirate. The crew was out of this world and the cook was so good, I gained 5 pounds. I am hoping to do their boat again next year but of course I am now a little more prepared. The above suggestions are great, and believe me if you go in with the right attitude you are going to love it. Have fun

Like a BUNK with about 22" of vertical space and a curtain! Each bunk has a covered 4" pad a blanket, sheet, and pillow. No port Hole and a small reading light at your Head. The Nassau Club Marina has rooms and they are right there. They are also remodeling the Pool and very convenient. There is one Head for each compartment and that is the worst part of these boats:( I would give you a picture, but me and the camera don't fit at the same time....

First time going on a live aboard. Is anyone going on Blackbeards nassau trip oct 16-22? no clue what boat yet?

Back
Top Bottom