First hole in Oxycheq wing. How do I fix it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Small Leaks can be patched with a water bed repair kit if it is the vinyl bladder.

Hallmac

Chris a while back there was an ebay Halcyon wing that sprouted holes from a carton staple. The Oxycheq groupies jumped all over this as a harbinger of Halcyon's demise since the golden child had been born.

Now... after just being out of the womb these short few months we already have a couple of Oxycheq wings sprouting holes... and that after less dives than some of us get in a couple months.

Hence the staple remark.

AquaGuy:
I noticed when I was rinsing my 45lb Oxycheq wing after todays dive (first generation which does not have an outer shell) that it had two small holes which appear to be from something rubbing on the wing. The holes are about 2 inches down from where the inflator hose goes into the wing. It's about 1 inch above where the top of the STA ends. I am wondering what the best way to fix the hole would be? I can probably fairly easily get to the hole from the inside via the inflator hose opening.

Right now they are only pin holes, but I want to take care of them before they get much bigger.

This is the first problem that I have had with this wing in over 30 dives.

Please advise what I should do to fix the pin holes.

Thanks

Aqua Guy

I would try and isolate the cause and not just fix it.. look for possible abrasive edges on your backplate, your STA ect..

Do you frequently travel with your wing connected to your bp and tank while the equipment is in your car.. if so look of ways the wing might be getting pinched between the BP and something sharp or hard while in transit.. can the wing be rubbing against something in your car (or maybe boat)..

Fixing the problem obviously is important but you should try and find the root cause, since it obviously didn't come with holes.. (unlike the "staple" incident referenced previously)

The original 30 and 45 lbs wings are lightweight wings (unlike the signature series-which has a very heavy outer covering and the thickest bladder I have ever seen on a dive wing..) and metal will win over urathane and nylon everytime...

Dan Gibson:
Probably a staple :wink:

ROFLMAO.......... :54:

The whole argument on this was. They haven't been out long enough to claim they're Better. Now, they're having the same problem pop up that they kept complaing about Halcyon for.

I know, Get the Signature....LOL.... They won't get holes.....LOL

Well if Uncle Pug can keep his trolling in check... :evil:

Pictures would be nice. Sounds like wear damage rather than leaky seam syndrome.

I had a chat with Oxycheq about this issue - seems that there have been about 3 complaints of these pin holes in about 500 or so wings that hae been sold. They said that if there were pin holes that it was likely the cause was a sharp object rather than wear, especially if there are no wear marks. So far, there have been no seam issues.

Mverick:
ROFLMAO.......... :54:

The whole argument on this was. They haven't been out long enough to claim they're Better. Now, they're having the same problem pop up that they kept complaing about Halcyon for.

I know, Get the Signature....LOL.... They won't get holes.....LOL

Actually, I think the majority of the complaints on the Pioneer wings was over seam leaks. The Oxycheq wings are not plagued with this. This is one person's wing being punctured by an object. how is this the wing's fault? Someone who is careless with their gear, allows something to puncture the wing, and that should be an issue with the manufacturer? just like the original staple issue with the Pioneer wing, that is ludicrous...

Scubaroo:
Well if Uncle Pug can keep his trolling in check... :evil:
... just how many posts I have deleleted before sending in this thread. :D

Well actually maybe you can imagine.

Only 3 in 500 wings.... wow... not bad... hahahahaha... :D

This isn't trolling... this is mocking. There is a difference. :wink:

LUBOLD8431:
Actually, I think the majority of the complaints on the Pioneer wings was over seam leaks. The Oxycheq wings are not plagued with this. This is one person's wing being punctured by an object. how is this the wing's fault? Someone who is careless with their gear, allows something to puncture the wing, and that should be an issue with the manufacturer? just like the original staple issue with the Pioneer wing, that is ludicrous...

I never said they should be covered. By the manufacturer. Ever. Or that they were issues with the manufacturer.

I have 2 27lb halcyon wings. No seam leaks. No holes. And I do take good care of my gear.

Haven't seen a leak in a Halcyon. But have heard of them. Haven't seen a leak in a Oxycheck. But have heard of them. But when the thread came out how Oxycheq's were so much better. Then, they are posting about them getting holes too. Don't cry, "Someone who is careless with there gear". Because, that same statement could be said about the Halcyon gear also.

The staple hole incident was kinda silly anyway. Guy buy's a wing. Doesn't use it. Sells it to somebody else. Has staple holes. SO they blame Halcyon. And are mad that after the guy resold it. Halcyon didn't cover it. I wouldn't either. To many irons in the fire. I don't care if he didn't use it. He should have to check it out. Buy a car and let it sit in the garage till the warranty runs out? Without ever starting it? Sells car and motor is junk. Blame the dealer. Nope. Buy a BC. I'm gonna check it for leaks. New or used. The guy who bought it second hand did. But wanting the manufacturer to cover a problem when you bought it used? Not gonna happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom