First gear purchase for Divemaster and maybe Instructor courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

feydan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I want to get some quality equipment that is also affordable for my Divemaster and possibly Instructor level courses and beyond. I'll mostly be diving in Puerto Rico, but in the future might dive in cold weather (northeast US). Since I've never bought equipment before, I'm not sure which brands are good for which pieces of equipment.

Currently, I found what looks to be a great package (link below). It includes a Mares Prime SMU BCD (with integrated weights), Edge Exp OR Edge Epic 1st & 2nd stage regulator with octopus, gauge, and Cressi Leonardo dive computer.

Scuba Package Special of the Month

The Edge regs have good reviews and are made by HOG, which seems to be a reputable company. I would probably get the upgrade to the cold water Edge Epic regulator (from the standard Edge Exp) for $100 for higher quality and versatility. The reviews on the Cressi Leonardo seem to be great as well. It's a simple computer that accommodates Nitrox and has a PC upload as well. The only thing I don't know too much about is the BCD, but it seems to have everything I would need. At around $700 with free shipping, I think it would be tough to find a better deal, at a local dive shop or online.

Would the BCD, Regs, and computer be sufficient for divemaster and possibly instructor courses? Do you think these items are high enough quality?

Are there any considerations that you would add?

I appreciate any help and advice!

Check to see if any local instructor can help with buying locally- you may win a relationship with the shop and if you're in the area longterm, this can pay back in dividends.

Reg: Good- nothing wrong there. It's good to have a couple of repair kits for your 1st/2nds. I don't think Edge uses any 'non-standard' tools like certain brands are (in)famous for. Cold Water option? Honestly- I'd pass unless you're keen to jump in practically freezing lakes/quarries. 'Warm-water' regs can usually handle all but the very coldest water.

BCD: Mares inflators crap out eventually, but are easily replaced in most countries. My jacket BCD's have a lifespan of around 3-4 years- I'm seriously considering BP/W with some strategic quick-releases to make it a bit more similar to rental BCD's. If you get a jacket- make sure it has 'trim-pockets'. Personally I use a weightbelt even though my BCD is integrated- weightbelts are indestructible.

Computer: Single button interfaces are a PITA. Take a look at what brand the majority of your clients will use- then get the same. Similar computer algorithms can help you to understand the clients' no-deco state. The Cressi and Suunto algorithms are similar. I find the Uwatecs can be too aggressive for clients' computers. If I was to dive for me, I'd get a Uwatec.... but I'm not so I use a Suunto Gecko.

Again, if you intend to spend a long time in Puerto Rico, starting a relationship with a retail shop may prove beneficial in the long run.

I wait until "Black Friday" the Friday after Thanksgiving to make your purchase. There will be sales.

Thank you for the input. I visited the 2 LDS around here to talk about gearing up. I will only be here for 6 months or maybe a year.

At one shop, I can get a Aqua Lung basic essentials package with an Aqua Lung Titan and ABS Octo, Aqua Lung Pro LT BCD, and SPG with Suunto Zoop computer for just under 1k. I can also get a good price on an Apeks XTX 20 with a free octo.

At the other shop, I can get Atomic gear at a decent price.

BC: I've been doing some more research on scubaboard, and I think I should go with BP/W instead of jacket, pretty much everyone is recommending because it's modular, minimalistic, and provides better horizontal buoyancy. The BP/W setups that I found in the LDS are pretty expensive, $600 or more. There were some links to this one on DRIS, which seems like an affordable price for good gear: DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL.

Computer: Prices and variety for these seem to be better online, I'll most likely go with the Leonardo unless I can find a better deal on a nitrox computer with pc upload.

Regs:
I'm still having some trouble here. The Edge and HOG regs aren't very serviceable where I am. Ideally, I'd like a good brand reg with balanced, sealed first stage and balanced, adjustable second stage, but these are already getting into the $500+ range without the octo. Though there are some deals online, I think it might be better to get my reg at a LDS so if I have any issues, they can help me. I do have a couple questions:

Does having a sealed first stage make a big difference? I'd mostly be diving in warm, tropical water from the beach.

Are there any big quality differences between the Apeks XTX 20 and the Atomic Z2? Which would be better?

I want to get some quality equipment that is also affordable for my Divemaster and possibly Instructor level courses and beyond.

Unless you are an independent (and possibly at a resort), equipment is likely dictated by the shop..... Whatever you buy now, you are buying for your diving, and likely not for work.....

As a starter set-up, there is nothing wrong with the 'package' you initially asked about. The total price is really hard to beat. Having said that, I also would not buy either a weight-integrated BCD or a jacket BCD. So, your subsequent decision to look at a BP/W is a very good one, at least from my perspective. That comment applies to you both as a newer recreational diver as well as a possible future dive professional. Go with a plate and wing now and you will NOT look back, or regret the decision.

As for the computer, there is nothing wrong with the Leonardo. Personally, I agree with supergaijin - single button interface computers are a PITA, at least for me. Better to go with something like a Zoop which is perhaps a bit widely used as an entry level computer, and often used for classes.
Regs: I'm still having some trouble here. The Edge and HOG regs aren't very serviceable where I am. Ideally, I'd like a good brand reg with balanced, sealed first stage and balanced, adjustable second stage, but these are already getting into the $500+ range without the octo.
The Edge regs are fine. The issue of service may be an influence, however. In the mainland US, you can find a shop that can service Edge / HOG with some ease. But, you mention you will only be in PR for about 6 months, so local Edge service may not be an issue. That is for you to judge. You will probably have a broader net of service support with something like Aqual Lung / Apeks, or ScubaPro, but you will also pay more.
Does having a sealed first stage make a big difference? I'd mostly be diving in warm, tropical water from the beach.
If you are certain that you will not be diving cold water, then there is little wrong with an unsealed first stage. I have two Apeks ATX20s, both with the unsealed US4 first stage. They perform well, they breath fine, but both have free-flowed in colder water (<50 degrees). I use them for deco regs, so I am generally breathing from them above 100 feet, and I am generally 'resting' while breathing from them So, as an answer to the question, YES, having a sealed first stage does make a big difference, but how big depends on the conditions under which you are using them.
Are there any big quality differences between the Apeks XTX 20 and the Atomic Z2? Which would be better?
'Better' is very much a matter of opinion and personal preference, for almost all scuba gear. There are some very ardent Atomics fans on SB, and Atomics regs are good regs, no question about it. I happen to have a preference for Apeks regs, because I have used them for years, and service them, and am quite comfortable with their quality. The XTX 20 is an entry level reg. IF I were starting out and planning on an Apeks reg, I would get an XTX50, and I would go with an environmentally sealed DS4 first stage at a minimum. Personally, I prefer the higher end Apeks FSR first stages, but my applications are probably different, possibly maybe a bit more demanding, than your will be for some time.

Regs are an investment in the future. Get a good, solid, sealed, balanced reg set-up to start, with two identical second stages, and you will be set for quite a while. My first reg was a Zeagle 50D, with two identical ZX second stages. That cost more but I still use the reg as a primary recreational single cylinder reg 12 years later In hindsight, there was no need for a turret reg for single cylinder diving. In that vein, if you go Apeks, and decide on an XTX50, don't bother with the DST first stage (turret). It is a beautiful first stage, you just don't need a turret. A DS4 will be fine.

There are some online deals on Hollis regulators. Hollis is Oceanic's technical diving line so an Oceanic dealer should be able to service the regulators. A bit more expensive but comes with a yoke first stage.

I've been hearing from people down here that buying gear online, even from reputable sites is dangerous. They say that many scuba companies don't allow warranties for online sales, and that sometimes you can receive imitation products. Are these concerns legitimate? Has anyone had any experience with poor online products or void warranties?

Thanks for the help!

I'm going with a Deep Sea Scuba BP/W for my BCD. I'll probably end up buying an Atomic Z2 with Z2 octo (I can seal it later if I need) and Suunto Zoop computer from an LDS who offers better prices than those online. It's all going to cost a lot more than I expected, but at least it will be quality gear that I can grow into and use for lots of different diving.

I've been hearing from people down here that buying gear online, even from reputable sites is dangerous. They say that many scuba companies don't allow warranties for online sales, and that sometimes you can receive imitation products. Are these concerns legitimate? Has anyone had any experience with poor online products or void warranties?

They are full of crap. Some companies don't allow on line sales. Those that do honor warranties wherever you are. The good ones anyway. The receive imitation products is double full of crap. Whoever told you this is a liar
or an idiot.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom