First Fill Whip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well I finally finished assembling my first fill whip based on Vance Harlow's Oxygen Hackers companion ( http://www.airspeedpress.com ) and would appreciate any comments/critiques etc..

I used Quick Disconnects (Parker open bore style) on nearly all fittings, so they are easily interchangeable and I can convert from a Nitrox fill whip to a DIN/Yoke transfiller. Or just combine one of the gauges with one of the DIN converters for a tank pressure checker. It uses a Swagelock needle valve for control, and has multiple gauges for precision in specific ranges.

I was hoping to start blending my first tank of nitrox tonight, but looks like I'll have to wait till tomorrow - I don't want to be rushed or tired... both of which would be true tonight :wink:

I've put up a parts list at http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba/fillwhip.html that is pretty close to what I used.

fillwhip_thumb.jpg

I'm fortunate in that our local Gas supplier has ABO cheaper than welding O2 and it "only" comes in "T" cylinders of 337cf at 2200 psi... though the cylinder I got is at 2500 psi sitting in an air conditioned room :D (so I got 375 cf!!!) Frequently I've been told they deliver them at 2800 psi ... the downside is that it costs $75/fill after tax etc.. and they have a $90/year lease (or .25 cents per day - which I'll probably make use of)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Thanks to OxyHacker (Vance Harlow) for such a great book and getting me started in this - it's been a "blast" so far :wink:

Very nice, what was the total cost?

How did the first fill go? And I too would be interested in the total cost!

Wont do the first fill till I wake up later today - been working all night :wink: total cost was $209. Half of the cost was the 2 DIN to NPT adapters...

Well I put it all to work for the first time today - the only problem was my one gauge leaked, so I swapped it out for another, resealed it and all was fine, but I probably lost 300-500psi from my supply tank before I fixed it :(

I started by filling my newly cleaned emergency O2 bottle (an old steel 65 filled to 2000psi) which took about 2 hours. I then filled 3 AL80's and topped them off with enough air to bring them up to 2000psi @38%. I dropped them off at the LDS with instructions to top them off to 3000psi (which should bring them to 31-32% depending on how much air they add) so tomorrow I'll see how it all ended up.

I also wasted about 4 hours earlier this morning building a tank tumbler - if anyone else is interested, a ceiling fan motor spins at the right speed, but not near enough power ... oh well it was worth a try. Instead a friend and I rolled the tank back and forth to each other on the floor for about 30 minutes with about 1 gallon of crushed lava cinders inside - they cleaned up the inside very nicely and washed out with a garden hose easily.

Aloha, Tim

Final report is in... I just picked up the tanks from the LDS - 1 had a leaking Burst disk, which after tightening was fine. It was the lowest at 30%, the others were 31.4% & 31.9% all at 3500 psi. Not bad considering I was planning on a 3000psi fill :D

Aloha, Tim

Uncle Pug:
Good job Tim.

$75? Yikes!!!

Thanks U.P.

Don't tell me you're in an area where it's only $40??? :wink:

I think I'll stick to diving air most of the time, but at least now when the need is there I can fill my own tanks and have some fun, plus it's been a great learning experience :D

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Tomorrow morning I get to dive my first batch of nitrox - kinda exciting ...

Back
Top Bottom