First Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorslibertas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi.

I’m a newly minted PADI OW diver, currently slowly working my way through a BSAC Sports Diver course.

I would like to dive in UK waters all year long. I usually look after my kit, but i don’t mollycoddle them, so would like something reasonably robust with good customer service for when something inevitably goes wrong. I would also like to do GUE Fundamentals in the not too distant future.

My main candidate at the moment are the following:

O’three Ri 2-100 (cheapest option, rugged but heavy, not sure if rear entry rules it out for Fundies)

O’Three Ninety-90 (Haven’t managed to find many reviews online, but appears to be well received. Complete package including changeable seals. Not as rugged as the Ri 2-100).

Otter Atlantic (Rugged, more expensive than a similarly configured Ninety-90).

I’ve considered the Seaskin Nova, which would be the actual cheapest option, but have read some not so flattering things about both quality and customer service. Happy to be corrected on this front.

Any comments on my choices? Help me choose, please!

My dive buddy picked up a Seaskin Nova a couple of years ago. I have not been able to find a thing to complain about, and he loves it. I am planning to order one myself in the next 8 months or so.

DW

Rear entry is a hassle, and you probably don't want a neoprene drysuit, but none of that is an issue for fundies.
The neoprene suits (I have a CF200 and an Avatar) take forever to dry and are super heavy when wet. They're comfortable, but sort of a hassle, and they have some buoyancy change with depth. My CF200 is probably 20-30lbs when wet.

If you're going to go the DIR/GUE route make sure the dump valve is in the right location so that it vents in trim.

I have the Otter Atlantic HD. It is rugged for sure, heck of a nice suit and fits me well. Very satisfied with build quality/options/divability/etc. If I bought another suit today it would be an Otter (somewhat biased though as its the only suit I've owned, but haven't seen another suit that impressed me to the point where I would change). Customer service is superb, always able to call or email the owner of the company direct and would get fast responses over email (I am in the US and they are UK so email worked better for me than calling).

That being said I also do have buddies with Seaskin Novas and haven't seen any issues with their suits (the one that did have an issue it was remedied quickly by Seaskin from what I remember). They're very happy with their suits as well, so I wouldn't discount them unless you've seen one up close.

The people that are generally happy with a cold water suit have managed to find one that fits well and is suitable for the type of diving they do. So, take your time choosing; buy the best you can afford and get the best fit possible using the warmest undergarments you are likely to need. Brand loyalty is quite subjective and those buying brand X have done so for a variety of reasons.

Hi, drysuits are a bit of a personal taste thing, and getting one that fits really helps. Most people will tell you tier current one is the best. The good thing about the UK is we have a fair few manufacturers and places you can see and try them, depending where you are.
If you are near a manufacturer and they have an option to go have a look and get measured there, then it usually helps. If you are north, then visits to NDiver, Otter or Seaskin are doable, AzDry or Typhoon from a couple of shops; or down south Othree is in Portland, Hammond in Kent, Predator in the New Forest. Santi suppliers are all over. I've used Seaskin very happily for suits, undersuits and fixes, Otter for fixes and both been very helpful and friendly.
I've had suits from RoHo, Seaskin, Santi and now Predator. The Santi and Predator fit much better, but it is hard to say they were worth double the price of the Seaskin. I did try an O'Three 90Ninety, but there were a few niggles for me I wasn't super happy with. I have seen a good few on boats now and they are generally well received.
If you moderately look after your kit, any of them will be fine. Unless you do a lot of shore diving and crawling on rocks, then the membrane suits will be fine, and the weight of the Ri2-100 isn't worth that comparison. If you want it for warmth, that's different, but they should all be durable enough. Speed of drying can be a consideration, most membranes dry quicker. The Otter Atlantics are nice, I have seen a few cut a bit funny, so make sure you get measured well for it.

If you are looking at the GUE community in the UK, have a look on the GUE UK facebook page, that's where a lot of stuff gets discussed and planned. Welcome to UK diving, you'll have a great time!
Rich

Hi.

I’m a newly minted PADI OW diver, currently slowly working my way through a BSAC Sports Diver course.

I would like to dive in UK waters all year long. I usually look after my kit, but i don’t mollycoddle them, so would like something reasonably robust with good customer service for when something inevitably goes wrong. I would also like to do GUE Fundamentals in the not too distant future.

My main candidate at the moment are the following:

O’three Ri 2-100 (cheapest option, rugged but heavy, not sure if rear entry rules it out for Fundies)

O’Three Ninety-90 (Haven’t managed to find many reviews online, but appears to be well received. Complete package including changeable seals. Not as rugged as the Ri 2-100).

Otter Atlantic (Rugged, more expensive than a similarly configured Ninety-90).

I’ve considered the Seaskin Nova, which would be the actual cheapest option, but have read some not so flattering things about both quality and customer service. Happy to be corrected on this front.

Any comments on my choices? Help me choose, please!
I have a Seaskin and it’s been great so far. Not sure what complaints youve heard besides their 3-4 month wait time which is pretty standard for a custom cut Drysuit.

Congratulations on your OW course, and welcome to ScubaBoard.

I've only dived one drysuit, my Seaskin Nova, so I don't have a wide perspective on Otter, O'Three, or other brands, perhaps other posters can help you there. What I will say is that my drysuit is one of my favorite pieces of gear, and I consider it a great value at around £1000, versus the $3000 or so I would need to source a comparable DUI or Santi suit locally. I have no complaints about the service, but you should be aware that it takes 3 months or so from the day your order is placed until the day it is in your hands.

If you do get a drysuit, regardless of brand, the key features in my mind are:
- excellent fit
- dry gloves
- dump valve usable in horizontal trim (sometimes called a "DIR" dump valve)
- field-replaceable wrist and neck seals
- pockets (be aware of GUE's particular requirements)
- telescoping torso (this makes it much easier to don)
- front entry (dives the same, but much easier to self-don)
- pee valve (not required initially, but many people prefer it over alternatives, I know I do. These are easy to add to any suit later on if you don't want one today)

You also want to think about what sort of boots you want to wear. If you have an easy time finding shoes that fit and don't mind the suit taking a long time to dry, built-in boots might be a good solution for you. For me, my high arches give me a hard time finding shoes that fit, so a neoprene sock glued to the suit plus separate wetsuit booties simplified the search for good-fitting boots substantially.

Hope this helps, cheers.

my wife and I just did our 50th drysuit dives in our Novas. They still look like new, have had zero leaks or issues, and we really couldn't be happier. I've never used any other suit, but cant see how they could possibly be an improvement.

Thanks for all the comments so far, please keep them coming.

I am looking into doing a GUE drysuit primer in October, so will most likely hold off on making a decision until after the course. I do have a slight worry about the fact the instructor uses Santi as his rental kit, so I *might* get a wee bit spoiled.

Back
Top Bottom