First diving trip... where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My fiance and I did a resort dive in Cancun last year and loved it. We're about to complete our OW Certifications and are looking to do a short diving trip (4 nights) to warm water in April. We are thinking Florida or somewhere in the Caribbean and want to spend about $1500 total for air and hotel for 2 people.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

We live in the San Francisco Bay Area but are scared of the cold water here :)

The only place you will come close is Cozumel Mex! And travel time is shorter than most other destinations!

I live in the bay area, and I was scared of the cold water too. Until my wife passed her OW in Monterey and called me a wuss. It really isn't bad with the right wetsuit, and the LDS 7mm rental farmer johns are plenty warm.

But warm water is funner, and we are off to Cozumel this Saturday!!! :)

My fiance and I did a resort dive in Cancun last year and loved it. We're about to complete our OW Certifications and are looking to do a short diving trip (4 nights) to warm water in April. We are thinking Florida or somewhere in the Caribbean and want to spend about $1500 total for air and hotel for 2 people.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

I would go to Florida Keys. Fly into Ft. lauderdale or Miami, rent car, and drive south to Key Largo. Tons of dive shops, easy shallow diving with warm water and tons of fish. Check out:
www.itsadive.com
Scuba Diving Key Largo Florida scuba Diving Upper Keys Snorkeling
Dive Key Largo, Florida Keys with Rainbow Reef Dive Center;scuba diving:diving, Florida keys, florida diving
just a few choices for you.

Another choice is Cozumel, it is cheap from most anywhere. It is drift diving though, some people love it and some don't.
Cozumel Scuba Diving at Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort and Scuba Cozumel Dive Shop
This is a good place to go for newbie divers, they will take good care of you.

robin:D

she said "warm water in April"..... don't think Catalina qualifies!
I realized that. But I think Catalina would be a nice compromise considering the budgeting constraints which rule out most international dive destinations (with the possible exception of Cozumel). Florida/the Keys (not international) might be a possibility. On the other hand, Catalina is close -- the OP could drive to LA from SF. The water is not freezing cold provided that the appropriate exposure protection is worn. And let's face it, newbie divers are more active underwater and typically don't have long bottom times at depths where the water is coldest anyway. Lots of topside activities to try on the island, too. If I had 4 days/5 nights for a dive vacation and I lived in SF, I'd certainly give Catalina some consideration. The kelp is really fun to dive in!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom