First Dive with New Team

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leam

Contributor
Reaction score
Had my first dive with the new team yesterday. New to me, not a brand new team.

I've really been stressing about this as I've not been in real water for almost two years. Thanks to the local dive shop I was able to snag some pool time to ensure all the hardware, including the "between the ears" gear, worked. Had some performance worries going in to black water for the first time in a long while.

On my old team we mostly did anchored line searches. Down the line, move the weight, back down the line, move the other weight. This was generally a 15-20 minute dive and you came up when you were ready. I hadn't given much thought to that, nor that while I knew my dive history, the rest of the new team was taking my word on it. No one knew how much black water time I have nor how much I enjoy it.

So I'm down there happily groping through muck, looking for our target. Search into the ooze, move a bit, search some more, move a bit. I'm in a nice slow breathing rythym and happy as a clam. After a bit one of the other divers comes to get me; seems they were a bit worried that I hadn't moved a lot. They wanted to see a diver pop up every few minutes just to make sure things were good. We didn't have ropes on, and the water wasn't very deep at all.

When I came up to chat, the lead surface support team member was asking me questions to make sure I was alright. He sent a very strong message, by tone, questions, and behavior, that said "I'm here to take care of you and make sure you're okay". That was a very positive thing. Later on it was the same; if I needed water it was there, I was encouraged to take a break when it was time. No pressure to over-perform but no attitude of "you're not as experienced as we are" either. Even though I probably not as experienced as most of the other folks on the team.

All in all, a great day diving. Nasty as heck but everyone came up safe and supper afterwards was fun.

Leam

That's the way it should be Leam. I came on-board with my Police Dive Team about 1.5 years ago and had only been certified as an OW diver for about, oh, maybe 6 months before that (I was eager, had logged quite a few dives already and obtained the AOW & Nitrox cert on my own beforehand). I was never exposed to dark water until then and luckily took right to it. I still get the heebie-jeebies when I grab something and it slithers out of my hand, but hey- who doesn't? (grin) Anyway, I've been in diving bliss ever since and the team accepted me with open arms. I've since gained a ton of experience and have logged well over 100+ dives with the team and the training just keeps on coming. I joke with the guys that I'm building my retirement resume, heh-heh. Best move I made in my career so far......joining the team. ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom