First dive with a 7' hose and a problem getting Nitrox analyzed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gentlegiant

Contributor
Reaction score
This past weekend I finally had a chance to dive with a 7' primary hose and bungeed backup, it was great. This combo felt much more streamlined and secure once I got the hose routing down. I do not carry a light canniseter so I routed the hose underneath the weight pocket on my Transpac II (I have not had the cash to move to a BP/Wing setup yet, hopefully in a month or 2) and it worked like a charm.

I also had a somewhat disturbing thing happen. After our Saturday dives we had the shop we were diving with fill our tanks so they would be ready for Sunday. When I went to pick up the tanks Sunday morning to load them on the boat I asked for them to pull out the O2 analyzer so I could check them. The guy who was there said that they have a membrane system and they know it pump at 33.x% so why did I need to analyze them. I responded by telling him that we had different mixes (31-34% over the 4 tanks) and I wanted to see what the final results were. He finally gave in, but clearly was not happy about it. My problem is this, I am the one depending on that gas for my life. If I want to check the mix there should be no arguement. I understand membrane systems are pretty reliable and are highly capable of putting out a constant O2 level, but I still want to check it. I am the one who could take a CNS hit or get DCS if something is not right. When I compare this to the liveabord trip we took where they also used a membrane system to produce their Nitrox and the O2 was analyzed 3 times (once as it left the compressor, again as it left the storage bottles and once more after the tanks were filled) I just do not feel too good about the attitude. I talked with some others on the boat and they pretty much said it was just this one particular guy who is like that. I am not mentioning the operator here, but you can PM me for the exact details. Has anyone else had problems like this and if so how did you work them out?

I have NEVER had that problem, and if I went somewhere who acted like that, my business would never be there again. I would not care how much I pissed that person off, if I ask for analysis, they should provide it.

I am the one who could take a CNS hit or get DCS if something is not right.

You are right and JamesK is right...I wouldn't walk out without analyzing my tanks...

We insist that anyone buying nitrox at least witness the analysis and sign our fill log. They must also write in the mod for the mix. This is our proof that the customer knew what they were getting. diving a mix that you didn't verify in insane. Ecouraging someone to do it is criminal. You are responsible for knowing what you are breathing.

Originally posted by MikeFerrara
We insist that anyone buying nitrox at least witness the analysis and sign our fill log. They must also write in the mod for the mix. This is our proof that the customer knew what they were getting. diving a mix that you didn't verify in insane. Ecouraging someone to do it is criminal. You are responsible for knowing what you are breathing.

I've only gotten Nitrox fills in 3 places, but everyone I've been to, and I was trained with the understanding that everyone requires you to witness analysis and sign out the tanks. If these guys don't, they are just itching for a lawsuit.

-Jeff

Analysis is a part of diving any mixture other thatn air, (and if there has ever been anything else in teh system - analyse the air too.)

If I were you I would scoot to another shop or operator for my fills, a risk like that is unnecessary.

Have a good one,
Jeff

If it is just this one guy in the shop that is like that, why don't you say something to the shop owner and explain to him that you will take your business elsewhere if this problem person isn't taken care of. Don't be threatening, just kinda explain it the way it is. The shop owner may not be aware of his employees attitude.

this employee sounds like a loose cannon. He was probably trained in the back to mix NitrOx (you don't need no stinkin' class) and he just can't believe that you might actually check up on him. In other words, he sees it as a challenge to his abilities and not as a safety practice. Share your concerns with the owner/manager and see where it leads you. It would be wise to check into what credentials the blender actually has.

Originally posted by Wendy
The shop owner may not be aware of his employees attitude.

Excellent point. I had a problem with the shop I took my AOW course in, and whenever I mentioned it to anyone, they were shocked and told me to discuss it with the owner [it's one of the premiere shops in the area]. I sent an e-mail to the owner, who got back to me incredibly quickly, and while I had planned face-to-face, we ended up discussing it over a couple days over e-mail.

We discussed all the issues, he showed my e-mails and discussed the issues with those involved, and went above and beyond to make sure my buddy didn't have the same problems as I in completing his dives.

Sure, I get dirty looks from the divemaster when I'm in the shop, but who cares, I don't go through life trying to be everyone's friend.

My point is, definately bring it up to the owner, and if you don't feel good after that discussion, then definately walk away...but at least they got to know 1) what the issue was and 2) that you actually walked away and didn't just vanish into the abyss.

[Which reminds me that I have to emerge from the abyss soon and confront another dive shop]

I just spoke with the shop owner and the situation has been handled. He said he actually overheard the exchange and let me handle it to see how the guy reacted. After I left and they got the morning boats out he pulled the guy aside and explained to him that if a customer wants a tank analyzed then it gets analyzed, period. The owner also told me that they are trying to put together a self analyzer station for customers to use but have not found an easy way to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom