First dive went pretty wrong, there's a lesson here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:biggrin:Don't let it bother you. I still chum sometimes in bad surge and/or swells. Just wash the regulator well.
Enjoy. :mooner:
BTW 2-3 swells is a pretty calm day in most places.

Fortunately, just the week before, my instructor's dive buddy had told us about her reg-chumming experience so I knew it could be done and I didn't panic. I don't know how I would have handled it if her story hadn't stuck in my mind

Well done - better to keep your reg in if you're having a big heave

But as lanshark said, switch to your occy first next time :)

Hopefully there won't be a next time!

Good job and welcome to the board. It happens. Just don't worry about it. I have had students do exactly the same. The equate pills from wallyworld work just fine for all my people who have needed it. I even have one girl who gets seasick on the floating dock. This night before and then steady throughout administering works for her even. You handled it well, and htat's the key. Good work, you'll make a fine diver if you keep up the cool thinking.

You will be fine. And you have a great story when you find the humuor in it later on.

Welcome to the Board, diving, and the "University of Experience" (some would say, Hard Knocks U). As has already been said, the bright side is that your first experience was, indeed, quite an experience and one you'll never forget.
I agree with the "little white pill" advice...the patch does NOTHING for me, but some swear by it. In any case, you showed great poise and ability, and I think you're on your way to being a great diver! Have fun, and report back on how things go the next time.

Sea sickness can happen to ANYONE ANYTIME---don't kid yourself......you did good, now get back on that horse.....

Fortunately, just the week before, my instructor's dive buddy had told us about her reg-chumming experience so I knew it could be done and I didn't panic. I don't know how I would have handled it if her story hadn't stuck in my mind.

Why isn't this taught? I was on the boat for my first dive ever and I overheard a woman talking about this.. I commented "I think I'd opt to remove my regulator, hurl then put it back". She said, backed up by experience, "you can't, during the heaving you could gasp for air then you'd be in trouble". Also she said something about vomiting opening up valves and stuff that allows water to flow too freely in your body. So I made a note, keep the regulator in. But if it's so important then why is there no mention of this in the PADI book?

I found out the hard way that one can get sea sick UNDER the water as well as on the surface. Was on Sombrero Reef in about 3 footers, I found an Arrow Crab and became focussed on watching the little guy. The surge was washing me to and fro- and before I knew it, I had grunts all around feasting on my leftovers from breakfast. It's kinda fun to see Egg McMuffin come out the exhaust port! hehehe!

If your OW instructor explained how to hurl through your reg, he or she should've also told you why. After you feed the fishies, your first reaction is to breath in. Since you are a new diver, I would recommend that you don't want to be without a reg in your mouth when that happens, you don't want to take in a breath of sea water. If you can switch in advance, then that's fine, (and hopefully you checked your octo earlier and know it works). But don't be in a situation where you are pitching your cookies and are scrambling to get your octo out of whatever scumball (octo holder) it may have been stuffed in. The exhaust valve on your primary regulator will send your lunch to the fishes just fine.

I would advise to begin taking the motion sickness pills the night before. Having the medication in your system will make the first part of the boat ride more comfortable.

Hydration is also vital. Ginger ale is my drink of choice.

Welcome to Scuba and to ScubaBoard. This was your first experience, and it will only get better. I trust that your hubby now understands that when a diver "thumbs the dive," it is not a question or suggestion, it is a command.

I feel qualified to give your husband advice about dive signals. Earlier in my short diving career, I went on a drift dive and did not have my own Surface marker Buoy (SMB). Our dive was fairly deep, and a safety stop was strongly suggested. My buddy deployed the SMB and lost control of his buoyancy, rocketing to the surface. I had to make a snap decision, and I decided to ascend at the appropriate speed and complete my safety stop.

When I surfaced, I was a long way from the boat. I had a "bright" idea: I took off one of my fins and waved it to get their attention. The boat zoomed over to me and they threw me a life preserver. In my excitement, I had forgotten that waving means diver in trouble. I assure you that the conversation I had with the boat captain and dive master afterwards wasn't as much fun as the dive!

Anyhoo... I am trying to say we all have much to learn. Diving is a wonderful journey, and if you can share it with someone you love, that is so much the better.

p.s. I now own an SMB and practice deploying it every week. And I do not wave at the boat!

Back
Top Bottom