First dive trip to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reidkon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are thinking of trying something different this year and taking our winter vacation to Hawaii, probably January or February. We are leaning towards 1 week on the Big Island and 1 week on Oahu, the Big Island for the manta rays, shore diving and hiking, Oahu, because my wife has never been. I would appreciate any advice on where the best areas are to stay on the Big Island that are relatively close to dive sites and dive shops for tank rentals. We prefer condos with kitchens as we like to cook our own meals and we don't care if it is beach front, but it's always nice to be able to see the ocean! And of course diver friendly is nice, meaning not a thousand steps to climb to haul gear up, and an equipment drying area would be a bonus.
Any comments on:
  • Diving in January-February?
  • Dive op recommendations for boat dives?
  • Favorite shore dives?
  • Favorite hikes?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

The main tourist area on the Big Island is Kailua Town in the Kona district, where the airport and most of the dive shops are. The area south of town along the shoreside road Alii Drive, for about 6 miles down to Keauhou, is full of condos, several of which border the shoreline so you can dive right from the property. If you'd like something a little out of town, 25 miles south of the airport is Kealakekua Town in the coffee district, at around 1000ft elevation. Just below there is Napoopoo on Kealakekua Bay. Houses are probably more likely there than condos, and the closest dive shops are back in Kailua (15mi).

You will find a home here and there that markets to divers but none of the half dozen or so condo developments I've stayed in have rooms or facilities designed with divers in mind. The tub and the occasional poolside shower or hose is about it.

Shore diving can be great in Hawaii with many sites to choose from, provided you're competent to make site and entry/exit selections given the sea conditions. You'll find the same places recommended over and over in this forum. Feb/Mar is the low point for sea temps so a 3mm suit is probably a good idea. I was there one exceptional March when the 3ml wasn't even adequate.

I like Big Island Divers for their size, location, and gear rental prices and policies. They also have a couple of boats and run trips every day. There are several other shops that regularly get favorable mention.

The Big Island Revealed travel book is a good source of information about hikes, beaches, and restaurants. Volcano National Park is a pretty interesting place to drive or hike around. There are also a few high country hikes above Kailua Town that I've heard locals mention.

Have you considered a liveaboard dive trip? We once did a fantastic trip on the Kona Aggressor and I would love to do it again. We spent a few days on Oahu doing some tourist things, then traveled to the Big Island and spent a week on the Aggressor. We did lots of great dives and it was very easy diving. Then we spent a few days on land in Kona just relaxing before flying home. It was a great trip.

Just one comment, I think the water will be rather cold in Jan/Feb, we were there in April and the water was around 75 to 78 F and I think it will be in the low 70s in the beginning of the year; so if you are looking for really warm water then Jan/Feb may not be the best time of year to visit Hawaii.

I've had GREAT luck with VRBO for condos right on Alii Drive in the middle of all the restaurants and shops. If you PM me your email address, I'll send you my Kona recommendations, developed over quite a few trips and many discussions with diving locals.

While there, also try to get in a Black Water Dive. You go late at night out a few miles in a few miles of water and drift, tethered to the boat, and watch the most amazing little critters do their nightly migration up from the extreme depths. A truly one of a kind dive experience.

+1 for Kona Aggressor. I did 33 total boat dives off the west coast of the Big Island and it was pretty good. I had a great experience from land with both Kona Diving Company and Big Island Divers, and from the sea with Kona Aggressor. The shoreline off Kona is pretty rocky, so I'm not sure how entry will be for shore diving. That said, many of the dive sites around Kona are pretty close to shore. In March, water temps were in the mid-to-high 70s. I was chilly in my 5mm, but it had a crappy neck seal and on the Aggressor we were doing 5 dives a day.

We stayed on Ali'i Drive - not a bad ride to the harbor and dive shops from there.

Best thing about that time of year: humpbacks! Every single time out in the boat we saw them (not underwater unfortunately) and we heard them on many dives (like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEkhgacO3J0&list=PLL6twWf8TxruVjUvPFQVlExlU1oIRiK-o&index=7). Some of the dive sites didn't have much going on, but I didn't really care with the music of the humpbacks in my ears. Lots of dolphins off Kona too - we snorkeled with them twice and saw a huge pod swim by on a dive. Videos of that in the link below.

Here's a couple of my dive log highlights:
https://diviac.com/logbook/94277460
https://diviac.com/logbook/94277458
https://diviac.com/logbook/94277471

Here's a collection of YouTube videos to give you a preview:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL6twWf8TxruVjUvPFQVlExlU1oIRiK-o

The downside of a winter diving vacation on the Big Island is increased chances to get blown-out by major swell events. We were there last December and arrived about the same time as a major swell event. Dive companies in the Kona area continued dive operations during the day, but conditions were rough enough for companies to cancel night manta dives.

We returned to Kona in July and had much better conditions. Several of the employees of the two dive ops we used in July told us they really had a rough winter with lots of weather cancellations. Of course, weather can be a proverbial 'crap-shoot' anywhere one goes.

We really love the BI and the Kona area. There are probably lots of options if you're looking for a condo rental. When we travel and do the condo thing, we use HomeAway: Vacation Rentals, Beach Houses, Cabins & More to find rentals. So far, we've had pretty good luck.

Another major expense on the BI is a rental car. Last December, we did the car rental thing directly through a major rental company. A very small (barely big enough for our gear and luggage) car cost us a bunch of money. Prior to our July trip, I ran into a guy who told me to do an internet search for 'cheap rental cars in Kona, Hawaii'. We followed his advice and ended-up getting a four door Jeep Wrangler for less than half the cost as our December rental cost us. We had the Jeep for more days and it still cost us half as much as our December rental. BTW... we picked-up that Wrangler at one of the major car rental places at the airport. Evidently, some of the major car rental outfits bid on rental business from the 'cheap' car rental guys.

-AZTinman

Thanks to all for the great advice. We would love to do a liveaboard but unfortunately our vacation budget is not that big at this stage of our lives. Perhaps when all of our kids have completed university!I am wondering if perhaps we should postpone our Hawaii vacation until the summertime. The cold water temperatures and increased chances of having a major swell are making be think twice.

Cold water???? As I recall, water temps typically run in the low to mid-70's year around. My 5 mil was comfy in December and July. I wore tropical weight gloves, and no hood. Of course, there were people on the boats in December and July who just wore their swimsuits.-AZTinman

Cold water???? As I recall, water temps typically run in the low to mid-70's year around. My 5 mil was comfy in December and July. I wore tropical weight gloves, and no hood. Of course, there were people on the boats in December and July who just wore their swimsuits.-AZTinman

Cold is a relative term, I am used to diving in the Caribbean when the water is in the low to mid-80s and often you don't even need to wear a wet suit - so the 70s feel cold to me - but I agree that Hawaii is not truly cold-water diving.

Can you swing a 3rd island? A week on Oahu is about four more days than you really need.

For a two-week trip I'd do three days on Oahu and split the rest between BI and Maui.

Back
Top Bottom