First dive camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I shoot two GoPro's but I haven't done much still work. You can go back and forth about specific issues (wide angle, low light, strobes/continuous...) until your head pops off. I've been shooting terrestrial photography for years and honestly... most cameras are better than the photographer that is using them. The truth is that cameras now are very capable of providing excellent quality. I added an LCD back a long time ago for the very reason you mention and I now shoot with the UK Aqualite Duo Kit which provides me good lighting. I haven't tested that with still shots yet so I can't speak to that specific question but light is light... no matter what camera you buy you are going to need external lights underwater to take great stills.

If you're familiar with the GP then shoot it for a while. You will get a feel for the type and style of photography you're doing and that can guide your camera purchase.

I agree with the comment that the dedicated underwater systems might not be a good first choice as they are not very flexible.

Good luck - post some photos when you make your decision and let us know camera you chose and how it worked out for you!

I like to keep things simple. I also am a bit fussy on what is a good picture. So I have a point and shoot: Sealife DC1200, sealife digital pro flash, and sealife fisheye wide angle lens. Just added the lens. It really makes a difference.

https://www.facebook.com/steve.campbell.5496683

Back
Top Bottom