First Decent UW photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GREAT photo! I am quite impressed.

When you use the onboard flash, just remember where that "blackspot" [where the flash can't "get around" the lense projection of the underwater housing] is on the photos, and position your subject out of that area. That will give you the opportunity to crop the blackspot out accordingly afterwards. As well, you might wish to try using a fill flash application if you are doing any post production on them.

Nice shot jefffalcone. Your life is now ruined :)
++Ken++

:rofl3:

Does this have anything to do with the bucketloads of money this hobby may suck out of him?

this is just one facet of this obsession. Next you'll be spending inordinate amounts of time fixing up your creations in photoshop trying to decide which version you like better:D

Wow - thats really surprising! Are you sure your flash fired? The internal flash should comfortably light up a nudi from 8-12 inches away.

Also - if the viz was poor and the flash fired I would expect to see at least some backshatter from the flash being reflected by the suspended particles - but I don't see any in that shot? Compare with my photo, which was also in poor-ish viz and you can see the small particles in the water in the blurry background at the top.

Yes the flash has no problem from 8-12 inches away. Unfortuantely this shot is taken from about 1.5 inches. At that distance, the flash only gets some of this amount of the frame. This shot was taken at about 65 fsw with relatively poor vis. W/O flash it would have very little color. From 8 - 12 inches it would be a tiny spec in the middle of the frame. I did not crop it at all. I guess I could have zoomed from that distance, but it would have been harder to get sharp focus. Besides, I kind of like the shadow. It gives it a more artistic composition.

Also you're right about bacckscatter. If I was 12 inches away it definately would have been a problem. It is in most of the shots that I took that day.

Nice first shot! Next time try to get even closer to get more even lighting. I realize though, in this situation it was very challenging due to the bent shape of the nudi.
You're on the right track for sure. Keep it up and it will be more and more fun every time you go out.

As I said earlier, great shot !! I think the shadow in the lower half is simply caused by the overhang on the reef. You will only get rid if this by using an external strobe.

Maybe try a slightly faster shutter speed - 1/60 is a little slow, having said that your image is sharp. Unless of course you don't have full manual controls. Also maybe turn off the "red eye reduction".

:rofl3:

Does this have anything to do with the bucketloads of money this hobby may suck out of him?
Yes it's all started with:

- I just want to take a couple of pictures during my diving trip. Nothing fancy. I'm not into serious photography.
- Heyyyy..... look at this nice macro pictures that I got. That felt really good.
- I wonder if I can get a better picture. Sharper macro, better wide angle....
- 3 housings, 2 strobes and 2 ex-wifes later.....
- Let see if I take my 401K minus the tax, the penalty, will that be enough for that Subal housing.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom