First Decent UW photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jefffalcone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just started to learn UW photography. This is the first decent pic I've taken. More to come as I learn.

Attachments

• Tubataha Nudi small.jpg
    Tubataha Nudi small.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 164
Great pic - ditto the advice. Well done !!!!

Which camera are you using?

Looks like a compact point and shoot to me, something like one of the small Canon's (Ixus or Powershot)

Nice shot - could have used a drop of flash, then some cropping around the nudi I think. I think that's around the minimum distance the camera will focus on. (I have a similar model).

Here is a similar photo I took that is flashed and cropped

nudibranch3.jpg

Good eye. It is taken with a cannon powershot. It was actually very poor vis and quit dark. I only have an internal flash, which I used. I couldn't get the flash to illuminate the entire thing from the distance that I shot it.

Thanks for the advice.

Good eye. It is taken with a cannon powershot. It was actually very poor vis and quit dark. I only have an internal flash, which I used. I couldn't get the flash to illuminate the entire thing from the distance that I shot it.

Thanks for the advice.

Wow - thats really surprising! Are you sure your flash fired? The internal flash should comfortably light up a nudi from 8-12 inches away.

Also - if the viz was poor and the flash fired I would expect to see at least some backshatter from the flash being reflected by the suspended particles - but I don't see any in that shot? Compare with my photo, which was also in poor-ish viz and you can see the small particles in the water in the blurry background at the top.

Looks like a compact point and shoot to me, something like one of the small Canon's (Ixus or Powershot)

Nice shot - could have used a drop of flash, then some cropping around the nudi I think. I think that's around the minimum distance the camera will focus on. (I have a similar model).

Here is a similar photo I took that is flashed and cropped

nudibranch3.jpg

I have a photo like this (same nudis n everything) where one is on top of the other. Naughty nudis...

Hmmm...could it be that the camera was so close that the flash could not cover the area right in front of the port? An issue sometimes with 1:1 macro and PnS cameras using internal flash...

You got some decent illumination to the top left of the picture...

Some quick adjustments on Lightroom could possibly bring back a little more detail to the shadows. Good shot though....

Jeffalcone....facing your camera is your flash to the right of the lense or above it?

canon_powershot_sd850is_zoom.jpg

51SLd3Z2VvL._SS500_.jpg

I have the same camera - the port doesn't block the flash. That is only an issue with the larger G9 if you get very close.

I really love the texture you can see on the nudi though, I'm going to pay special attention next time I see one like this since it's really very attractive.

Back
Top Bottom