First Bronchitis...Now Pneumonia and more...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_frog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
About 3 weeks ago I went diving with a buddy of mine (he is 42 and other than a couple bad knees, he seems to be in pretty good health). It was his first dive in about 5 years. Max depth was 40 ft...avg depth 27 ft. About 2 weeks after our dive (last week), he came down with bronchitis and flu like symtoms. I asked if he thought he might have had bad air and how he felt after the dives. He thought the air seemed ok and felt great "getting wet" again. Yesterday, he was hospitalized with pneumonia and pleurisy. Today I read an article about rapid ascent and the possibility of creating a pneumothorax (rupture of the lung). He did tell the doctors and hospital about our dive. Has anyone come across getting this sick after a dive or is this pure coincidence. Can this somehow be dive related. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

One thing to add...this was the first time using the regs. They were brand new purchased from our LDS. I have the same setup...no problems. So my guess of equipment problems could be ruled out I guess.

scuba_frog:
About 3 weeks ago I went diving with a buddy of mine (he is 42 and other than a couple bad knees, he seems to be in pretty good health). It was his first dive in about 5 years. Max depth was 40 ft...avg depth 27 ft. About 2 weeks after our dive (last week), he came down with bronchitis and flu like symtoms. I asked if he thought he might have had bad air and how he felt after the dives. He thought the air seemed ok and felt great "getting wet" again. Yesterday, he was hospitalized with pneumonia and pleurisy. Today I read an article about rapid ascent and the possibility of creating a pneumothorax (rupture of the lung). He did tell the doctors and hospital about our dive. Has anyone come across getting this sick after a dive or is this pure coincidence. Can this somehow be dive related. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Pete
He may have already had something starting before the dive. When I was in Korea I had I thought a little sinus or cold and two weeks out in the field it went to bronchsis and then pnuemonia and I got put in the hospital for 2 weeks. If the doctors don't believe it is dive related it proably isn't. I am not a doctor. If It was ME, I would call DAN and ask them.

Already have an e-mail sent to DAN.

Scuba frog,

I seriously doubt that the pneumonia is in any way related to the dive.

Additionally, you friend does not have a pneumothorax. If he had a pneumonthorax he likely would have had symptoms immediately after the dive such as sharp chest pains and shortness of breath. Additionally, pneumothorax would be easily diagnosed by the CXR that your friend got when he was diagnosed with pneumonia.

-Mike

---------------------
This post is for informational purposes only and does not constitue medical advise. If you have medical concerns please contact your physician and or DAN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom