First battery replacement question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppatin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had to replace the battery on my Zoop for the first time. When I did it I realized that the replacement battery I'd bought didn't have a replacement o-ring, it was only a battery. The o-ring on my computer looked like it was still in good shape. Is it safe to use the computer after just replacing the battery or should I re-replace it with one of those kits that has a battery and a new o-ring? Sorry if this is a silly, paranoid question.

If the o-ring is good and the sealing surfaces are clean, then it will be fine.

Do you replace the o-ring on your torch each time you replace the battery?

Never, ever replaced an O-ring in a computer. Never flooded one except one that developed stress cracks in the body, which had nothing to do with the battery O-ring.
Those computer kits are consists of a battery that is usually less than $5 and an O-ring that cost about 5 cents, and sells for $20 or more. Good mark up.

Ppantin: Always replace the Oring in your computer when you do a battery change. That is what every manufacturer recommends. That is what we inexorably do in our shop in Fort Lauderdale. To the best of my recollection, the Oring for the Zoop is a standard ASTM B026. You can probably get 4 for $ 1 in your local Oring store. And remember to lubricate it slightly with silicon grease. Over 1500 dive computer batteries changed replacing the Oring and waterproofing each one of them without a single flooding should tell you something....

Really...
Do you replace the o-rings on your camera housing every time you take the camera in and out?
Do you replace the o-rings on your torch each time you replace the batteries?
If not, what is the difference with the computer?

I would agree that the o-ring needs to be checked and lubed, but not replaced.

Last edited:
Yes Tbar, you should replace the Oring every time you open the computer to change the battery. The Oring has been probably two years under significant compression, overheating after leaving the computer under the sun for hours and, most of the times, they even have salt encrustations due to improper washing with fresh water after every dive. At least they are squashed and became enlarged. This is a democracy and you are entitled to your own opinion. And yes, you can get away sometimes without changing the Oring. But, believe me (I've changed the battery to more than 1500 computers during the last 10 years), you better don't even think about doing that in computers like the Oceanic OC1 or the Suunto's D9 or Stinger, Mosquito, D4 and D6, or Scubapro Meridien, just to mention a few of the computers that use submillimeter cross-section O-rings. After all, why take any chances if you can get any metric O-ring for at most 3 to 5 dollars? Good luck on your next battery change.

Yes Tbar, you should replace the Oring every time you open the computer to change the battery. The Oring has been probably two years under significant compression, overheating after leaving the computer under the sun for hours and, most of the times, they even have salt encrustations due to improper washing with fresh water after every dive. At least they are squashed and became enlarged. This is a democracy and you are entitled to your own opinion. And yes, you can get away sometimes without changing the Oring. But, believe me (I've changed the battery to more than 1500 computers during the last 10 years), you better don't even think about doing that in computers like the Oceanic OC1 or the Suunto's D9 or Stinger, Mosquito, D4 and D6, or Scubapro Meridien, just to mention a few of the computers that use submillimeter cross-section O-rings. After all, why take any chances if you can get any metric O-ring for at most 3 to 5 dollars? Good luck on your next battery change.
So going 20 years without replacing the oring is living on the edge?

Stop drinking the koolaid. Use your brain. Inspect the oring - replace it if it needs to be replaced. If it does not need to be replaced, please do not add it to our landfills.

Yes Tbar, you should replace the Oring every time you open the computer to change the battery.
Thank you for telling me what I should do...

I have probably changed 20-30 batteries in the last 3 years, all in my own computer. O-ring checked, lubed and installed. I must be very lucky :)

I give similar attention to my torches and my camera housings.

I am just trying to give the OP a comment on "Is it safe to use the computer after just replacing the battery or should I re-replace it with one of those kits that has a battery and a new o-ring?". For me it is safe! If it did flood, at worst you would abandon the dive. Are you saying it is not safe to dive?

This is a pretty low pressure o-ring, at 30m 3bar or 43psi, compared to the O-rings in the reg (3,000psi) there will be very limited compression and deformation.

What you say is possibly best practice but for me and many other not required. If I were in a commercial situation I would probably do as you are, it would minimise my commercial risk.

Tbar:

I agree with your last statement that I am reproducing below. Finally, we found common ground.

quote:

.... What you say is possibly best practice but for me and many other not required. If I were in a commercial situation I would probably do as you are, it would minimise my commercial risk....

Just an additional thing for you to consider. When you say:

....For me it is safe! If it did flood, at worst you would abandon the dive. Are you saying it is not safe to dive?

you are forgeting to mention that you not only loose your dive, you will also loose your 400 to 1,500 dollar computer the minute salt water gets into the electronics module. It´s kaput. Your only chance of not loosing your computer is if it´s one of the lower end of the spectrum like the Suunto Vytec or Suunto in which the battery chamber is totally separated from the electronics. And that, only if, as soon you get to the shore, you open it up and rinse the battery chamber with fresh water and let it dry two days in the shadow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom