First Back inflate BC!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cando

Reaction score
Hey guys

Im considering buying my first back inflate BC (never tried one), and no dealer around here rents back inflates, so im gonna take the plunge and just buy one.....but...before i do i have a question or two.

I do alot of tropical warm water diving and i really like to swim sideways on some wall dives and even upside down to see those manta's and whale sharks......will a back inflate allow me to achieve these positions??? Or will i always be forced onto my stomach during my dive? I know i can shift my wieghts but i dont want to be doing that underwater (especially since its wieght integrated). I could wear a wieght belt but that kind of defeats the purpose of a weight integrated BC.

Sooo.....anyone have any comments? Anyone have a back inflate and have no problems at all swiming in positions other than horizontal on their stomach?

By the way, the BC i'm looking at is the SP knighthawk (seems like a good sturdy well made BC and has rear tank wieght pockets wich im sure will help with those long waits at the surface).

Thanks

Cando,

My first BC was a Seaquest Balance (back inflate, weight integrated) that I still have and now I primarily dive a BP&W. With both, after working out trim and some practice I can hover in any orientation. It takes some practice to figure out how to get the air to shift to where you want it. For example if you are orientated heads up vertical and want to go horizontal, momentarily you have to orient yourselfer with your head slightly down till the air shifts in the bladder. Don’t be discouraged if at first your buoyancy control seems worse, it takes some practice but I think it’s well worth the effort.

Mike

Mares Journey and have had no problems swimming in any position desired. Love poking into holes and under ledges = upside down! You shouldn't have a problem. IMHO

I used a dacor rig this past summer Wreck diving in Kingston Ont and it was my first time with this set up as well.It's awsome you should have no problems getting used to it .It offers more fredom than a conventional BC and I loved it so Good Luck . You can achieve any position you want in neutral bouyancy with the wing but like the last gent said it will take a bit of practice.

CHEERS
Have Fun

Was and is my first back inflate and I love it. I just came back from Barbados where I got to try it out (finally!!). It was fantastic. After a little bit of adjustment I was able to do whatever I was doing with my Mares Frontier. Great setup. you will enjoy it.

I can achieve any position in the water I desire using my Halcyon 27lbs BP/Wing setup. (Also what I recommend) Excellent steamlining underwater, does not tip you forward on the surface. I think you will like the back flotation a lot more than a jacket style.

I have a Sherwood Outback. The back inflate takes a little getting used to at the surface because it tends to want to tip you forward. How much time to you really spend on the surface anyway? Under the surface is where they shine. I think you'll like it. Just my opinion

Thanks guys

I took the plunge and went with the back inflate (besides, my LDS said if i didnt like it he would exchange it, great deal!!)

As for how much time i spend on the surface, I do alot of liveaboards so sometimes it does take a while to get picked up.

Thanks again, cant wait to try it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom