First Asia Trip !! - Short Liveaboard versus ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mm2613

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all. I am traveling with a friend (non-diver) and will have 4-5 days free out of Phuket for island hopping, etc. I figure I may be able to convince my friend to let me abandon him for a maximum of 3 days. Does anyone have any advice on whether a shorter liveaboard would be worthwhile or if I should try to set up from a shop in a particular spot? This would be for early March.

Thanks a bunch in advance !!

Cliffs: Can anyone recommend any 1-2 day liveaboards and does it make sense to do so over staying at a dive resort somewhere (and if the resort which island).

I'll continue to comb the threads and see if any recommendations are already out there.

- Mike

If you are looking for maximum diving within 3 days, definitely do a liveaboard. 3 day liveaboards are available. Generally liveaboards are not that interesting for non-divers, so you would have to abandon your friend those days.
Since you are not yourself familiar with the various options and schedules, you might want to seek the help of a booking agent. I know that Steven who is also active on this forum would be happy to find a trip that suits your schedule.

Hi, We are booked with Sea Dragon out of Khao Lak on a 3 night liveaboard Fri 3 March to Monday 6 March. Been with them before and though the boat is basic it is run very well and the food is good. I think we will be doing 11 dives. www.seadragondivecenter.com Khao Lak is about 1hr drive north of Phuket and about $30 by taxi. We need to be at the centre about 6pm on the Friday and they take us to the boat. Hope this helps and never know may see you aboard! .....Chris

The daytrips in the area are quite nice and you would be able to spend time with your non-diving friend. Some of the trips would also be nice for a non-diver, especially the trip to Racha Noi and Racha Yai.

A liveaboard of course is the ultimate way to go diving: nothing else to do but dive, eat, sleep and relax. There are 3 days/2 nights and 3 days/3 nights trips available that could suite you. However also important to know would be the number of dives you have done so far, your certification level and month/year of your last dive.

I did a 2-night, 2-day liveaboard to Hin Daeng/Muang and Phi Phi (the MV Giamani) a few months ago that was nice. I think 2-days is uncommon - most other ones are 3 or 4 day trips. Only trick is that they only do it once a week, I think, so it might not line up with your dates. The day trip diving from Chalong isn't bad - the boats are a bit more crowded and hectic than the live-aboards, but it's never bothered me. And you'll usually be able to get in 4 dives a day on a liveaboard (except for the last day) as opposed to the 3-tanks on a day-trip. But if it's just for a couple days, the difference in # of dives isn't huge. But the diving in the Similans is, in my opinion, noticibly better than what you get from the day-trips. Stevenl helped me organize a 4-day liveaboard up there in the fall of 2015 and it was great.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say thank you for the recommendations! I ended up booking a very last minute overnight stay on the Camic to dive the Similans and Ko Bon and had a wonderful time.

Mike.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom