First Aid Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think of my kit as trying to fill two needs:
a) What are the minor things I want to be able to easily take care of (things like small cuts, scrapes, headaches, sprains, splinters, etc.)
b) What are the things that are really important to have when things hit the fan (and before EMS arrives). Obviously, this varies depending on where you are at.

In terms of (b), here is what I consider important:
1) Something for a severe allergic reaction. I like Benadryl and also have an epipen.
2) Something for a severe bleed. A few of the trauma bandages and a tourniquet.
3) Something for breathing -- a CPR mask. If it is anything more than 10 minutes to EMS, I might add O2 as well.
4) Something to keep a patient warm (space blanket or better) and/or remove clothing or gear (EMT shears)
5) Something to stabilize a break (triangle shoulder bandage and sam splint)
6) Tape.

I have been wondering and this seems to be a good opportunity to ask. What are the laws, regulations, costs are for nonmedical persons to carry and adminster O2?

I have been wondering and this seems to be a good opportunity to ask. What are the laws, regulations, costs are for nonmedical persons to carry and adminster O2?

Under most Good Smaritan Laws if you are treating a victim up to your "level of training" and not for the opportunity to seek compensation ($$$) you are covered. The two main points is Level of Training and Not Seeking Compensation. So if you took DAN's, PADI/EFR's, The American Red Cross's, etc., O² Provider Course, you should be good to go...

---------- Post added February 5th, 2013 at 07:54 AM ----------

According to what I've learned in my first aid courses, tourniquets are really not the best treatment of a heavily bleeding wound...

Storker...you are absolutely correct that for "most" heavy bleeding the preferred method is still applying direct pressure. There are extreme cases where a tourniquet is applicable such as an amputation. Being struck by a boat prop comes to mind.

So if a tourniquet is actually needed to save the life, not the limb, I understand KD8NPB's statements where he rather have the proper tool (tourniquet) than waste vital seconds improvising one. So for a diving First-Aid Kit, I think a dedicated tourniquet is a good item to have. Like you mentioned, its use falls back on the provider's training.

Last edited:

I bought a portable oxygen tank with an adjustable flow valve when I first started scuba diving. It has about 60 minutes supply in it and can be refilled - the tank has to be replaced after 5 years. Although a demand valve is probably more applicable to most scuba emergencies I wanted something that could be used in other situations. The cost was about $300 CDN which is about the same in American dollars these days. In Canada the laws governing transport of O2 are similar to those covering filled scuba tanks so I'm assuming the US is probably the same. We covered O2 administration in our Wilderness First Responder training and it was quite straightforward. I don't believe there are any laws in Canada that relate specifically to the administration of oxygen in a first aid situation other than the general "good samaritan" acts.

I would recommend having a field dressing bandage as well. They are easy to use and perfect for any type of cut or wound where there is significant blood loss.

+1 on the EMT shears too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Sanitary napkins make a good field dressing bandage and can be bought really economically.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom