First 2 solo dives today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LIdiveaddict

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First solo dive went out to a local spot. Followed the anchor line down to the bottom at 20fsw and about 3ft visibily, it was loose so i picked it up to wrap it around a rock and noticed I couldnt move my leg. So I turned around to "see" some monofilament, cut it off and decided that was it, dives over. Headed right back up to the boat no issues.

A few hours later decided to try a shore dive off a local beach. Visibility was around 6ft at the bottom (which for around here is some of the better visibility I have had in the past). Never got deeper then 8 ft but saw some interesting stuff

Both dives I carried a slung pony (which I have been trained in how to use, and practiced heavily) and had spotters on the boat/on the shore for the dives with time limits.

I know I'm going to get bombarded with "too soon" comments but any advice for future dives is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
It probably is too soon, but you're gonna do what you're gonna do. I started solo diving as soon as I got my OW cert and had a number of people tell me it was too soon. They were right, it was. I ended up in a few scary situations but I'm intelligent, not prone to panic, love the water (swimming since age 2), and lucky, so I never had any real consequences other than knowing that I was doing something pretty dangerous and stupid. Your best bet would be to get quite a few more dives under your belt before you start going solo, but if you're gonna do it anyway, at least be safe (you don't wanna end up with a bunch of people speculating about happened to you in the accidents/incidents forum).

If conditions are bad, don't dive. Not feeling good? Don't dive. Gear malfunctioning? Don't dive. You want redundant almost everything: redundant air, mask, cutting utencil, compass (due to the limited vis you're diving in). If you don't already have the following items, get yourself: a mirror, a whistle, a surface marker buoy (SMB), and upgrade to spring straps. Probably a good idea to get dog tags, or some kind of identification to have on you when diving. Let someone know where you're gonna be. If you're gonna solo in an area you haven't dove before; talk to divers/lifeguards and do research online, etc. Don't push your limits. Frequently check your depth and psi. And remember that "Sh*t Happens" didn't end up on a bumper sticker by accident, sh*t really does happen! So even when you feel fully prepared and you take all the necessary precautions, the unexpected can still occur. Again, my advice to you would be not to solo dive yet, but if you're gonna do it anyway at least be smart about it.

Doug is right nothing like experience. I know what your talking about Vis. wise. New England can be tough. I carry a serrated knief on my console and linemans pliers on my shin sheath Mono and fishing wire tangle I really hate the latter, thats why I carry linesman pliers, the knief just doesn't CUT IT!!! If your in a boat solo Dig that anchor in have plenty of line on it eccetera, I've had wind pick up while I'am under. As for telling people where you are well Dougs idea of the dog tags are a good idea. I do tell my wife, but we both know its only to know the location of the body if I fail to check in. We know it's risky business!

my first solo dive started out as a buddy dive in bad vis, after 5 minutes the decision between enjoying a dive & staying with a buddy wasn't hard to make. strangely we both surfaced within a couple of minutes of each other.

i think if i had done less than 50 dives i would have surfaced of clipped a buddy line onto my buddy.

i still feel i have a lot to learn, but i do have some good experience & have coped with a few problems underwater (mainly of various buddy's making) i don't think solo diving is an issue.

i would not consider solo diving without an alternative air source and if a pony is the best you can do............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom