Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an emergency exit in the rear of the bunkhouse. I’ve been on this boat multiple times this is so sad the usual captain on the Conception is one of the best.
Apologies then. I was on the Conception in late May of this year. My memory may be faulty, but I do not recall there was any briefing on the presence of an emergency exit, and I was unaware one existed.

Apologies then. I was on the Conception in late May of this year. My memory may be faulty, but I do not recall there was any briefing on the presence of an emergency exit, and I was unaware one existed.

I have noticed most of the dive boats have different briefings for overnight/multi-day trips than single day out and back trips. If you were on the later then perhaps that would explain it? Otherwise not sure.

That big a boat has to be an inspected vessel. I'm kind of in shock how this could happen.

Unfortunately, inspections do not guarantee that accidents will not happen. It could have been many things that sparked this fire and while we can speculate or try to pinpoint it based on what the crew reports at a later date, we may or will never know for sure.

The fact that you were unaware that it existed is a problem in itself, assuming that you normally do listen to briefings when they do occur. This is so incredibly sad all around. I am glued to the news for all the updates. :(

Unfortunately, inspections do not guarantee that accidents will not happen. It could have been many things that sparked this fire and while we can speculate or try to pinpoint it based on what the crew reports at a later date, we may or will never know for sure.
That many fatalities will probably get a full-blown NTSB investigation. Which means it will probably take one to two years to get the report. But they are pretty good at finding root causes and contributing factors.

This is a terrible tragedy for the SoCal dive community. I'm not sure yet if I know any divers on this trip.

I have been on the Conception overnight a number of times, the last time being January 2019. It is a really nice boat. The owner, Glen, runs a good operation. The crew is good. The bunk area is not that crowded, many dive boats have more narrow aisles. The stairs are narrow but easy to go up and down, they are stairs not a ladder.There is an emergency ladder exit at the back of the bunk area which is always mentioned in the safety briefing. As others have said though the briefing is usually the first morning after motoring to the island overnight. I could see that changing where they require you to be on the boat a certain time before departing and the briefing is given before departure. I think this was a three-day trip, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, so they would have had the briefing Saturday morning and would have completed the first two days of diving.

This looks like it was a mini explosion that overtook the boat instantly without any time for anyone, crew or passengers, to react. Lost of possibilities how this could happen between engine, generators, cooking facilities and clothes dryer. And with multiple confined space below deck lots of possibilities.

I am scheduled to go on the Truth, the first of their three boats, in two weeks. Glenn the owner was to be the captain for that trip since we were going to go where they don't usually go, up past Point Conception. I suspect that trip will be canceled as the company will be busy with this tragedy and likely a complete safety review of their other two boats, Truth and Vision, and all their procedures.

I wouldn't hesitate to go out again overnight on a Truth Aquatics boat. Prayers for the owner, Glen, all his crews and the divers and their families. This is really sad.

Certainly not on those kind of boats. I prefer to spend a bit more and feel safe. And if I can‘t afford, I rather let go than put myself at risk. I know these kind of operations from Asia. but in the US??? Jee...

We have stayed overnight on several boats, and do not ever remember being told of a emergency exit below decks... when we board it is at night and it is quiet. No briefing given at that time at all. Just sign in to get a bunk.
Maybe you forgot the briefing that happened the following morning. This group was on their last day of a multi-day trip so they should have had their briefing .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom