Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That seems to be the main question that needs to be answered. If the boat goes up like a blowtorch in a matter of seconds at 3 am when everyone's asleep, evacuation procedures may be a moot point.
It's the fuel load inside, everything on a boat and everything people use has plastic in it, conflagrations burn much quicker than they used to

Just saw the story on Armed Forces Network...so sad.

I’ve been watching reports on CNN. They just reported they have located more bodies below but have not recovered them yet.

What a terrible tragedy! Those poor people didn't have a chance. It reminds us that while we tend to focus on hazards which are specific to diving, sometimes it is other hazards which present a significantly higher risk.

="DrMack, I worked on tuna clippers in the north Pacific around the dateline in my youth and these SoCal liveaboards remind me more of the commercial fishing vessels I worked on than they do the typical international liveaboards like the Aggressor fleet. It's too bad that vessels like Conception and the luxury operators get lumped into the same category in the popular press because we in the dive community refer to them both as liveaboards. The rack spaces on the Truth fleet look more like USN enlisted quarters whereas the international liveaboards offer private cabins a la O4+ quarters. It's obviously just a microeconomics trade-off between the two business models so I don't blame the operators. After all, the market demand for the bunk style vessels does signal the need for the supply, but does that trade-off include safety?

I have been on long haul live aboards, and short haul, 1-3 nights. The Truth boats found a niche, there are many wonderful dive sites around the Channel Islands, but they are far apart, and it takes hours to get to the island chain from Santa Barbara, so they came up with this model which has served 450,000 divers over the years. Myself included. The model is this, get on the boat in Santa Barbara on Friday night, eat dinner, go to bed, wake up the next morning at a dive site. Move to a couple more on Saturday, then sleep Saturday night and wake up In a different location. Normal trip is only 2 days, you are back in Santa Barbara Sunday night. So, you can see, they do not compete with your standard week or 2 week long live aboards. Because of the 3 day weekend, this trip was 3 days, and they would have been back in Santa Barbara tonight. Truth Aquatics is a professional organization that is a key element of the diving community in California, they participate in numerous education programs and give back to the community. The boat was clean, the food good, the staff well trained, and our bunk was a double bed, of which there are 20. Crowded, yes, like any boat. For the $500 or so I paid for the trip, I felt it was a great deal. The coast guard says the boat was in full compliance after Feb. inspection. So, until we know facts, I think it would be safer to not jump to conclusions, or make comparisons that do not apply. Just my thought on the matter.

Thanks for saying it better then me. We in the dive community of course know that the spectrum of dive boat configurations is very broad. We also know that, pardon my Gertrude Stein never said it quote, a liveaboard is a liveaboard is a liveaboard. Unfortunately, the media coverage of this tragedy will not make the distinction that we know exists among the many points between the extremes of the liveaboard vessels and their operations. The safety track record of Truth operations before this tragedy speaks for itself. Anecdotal reports of the competence of the crews and the operation as a whole over many decades also speaks volumes. As divers we will of course be asked by non-diver family and acquaintances what we think about this tragedy. When we reply to them I suggest that it is important that we inform them of the broad nature of this spectrum. We all win when we each do our part to shed the light of truth on our amazing avocation.

CNN reporting that there are some bodies on the wreck.

Please stay with the facts when posting as that is what is needed at this moment. Remember there are many families and friends who are still hoping to see their loved ones alive.

Just wanted to say that I went on a dive trip on the Truth about 10 years ago. I don't remember the details about safety briefings or such but it was a fun trip and it was really affordable too. It was a great experience. The diving was wonderful. I feel so bad for these divers and their families.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom