• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by divezonescuba, Sep 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FF / EMT

FF / EMT Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    It's the fuel load inside, everything on a boat and everything people use has plastic in it, conflagrations burn much quicker than they used to

2. Oldbear

Oldbear Teaching Neutral Diving

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Just saw the story on Armed Forces Network...so sad.

3. BDSC

BDSC Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I’ve been watching reports on CNN. They just reported they have located more bodies below but have not recovered them yet.

4. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

Kevin, that does indeed tell a story. Very poignant.

5. John the Pom

John the Pom Angel Fish

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    What a terrible tragedy! Those poor people didn't have a chance. It reminds us that while we tend to focus on hazards which are specific to diving, sometimes it is other hazards which present a significantly higher risk.

Tricia likes this.
  6. DrMack

DrMack Angel Fish

Thanks for saying it better then me. We in the dive community of course know that the spectrum of dive boat configurations is very broad. We also know that, pardon my Gertrude Stein never said it quote, a liveaboard is a liveaboard is a liveaboard. Unfortunately, the media coverage of this tragedy will not make the distinction that we know exists among the many points between the extremes of the liveaboard vessels and their operations. The safety track record of Truth operations before this tragedy speaks for itself. Anecdotal reports of the competence of the crews and the operation as a whole over many decades also speaks volumes. As divers we will of course be asked by non-diver family and acquaintances what we think about this tragedy. When we reply to them I suggest that it is important that we inform them of the broad nature of this spectrum. We all win when we each do our part to shed the light of truth on our amazing avocation.

7. AZNetEng

AZNetEng Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I know two of the divers aboard. Their family members are clinging to hope but I have resigned myself to the fact that they are gone.

This is gut wrenching.

Tricia and markmud like this.
  8. Compressor

Compressor ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    CNN reporting that there are some bodies on the wreck.

Please stay with the facts when posting as that is what is needed at this moment. Remember there are many families and friends who are still hoping to see their loved ones alive.

RyanT likes this.
  9. Libby1009

Libby1009 Garibaldi

Just wanted to say that I went on a dive trip on the Truth about 10 years ago. I don't remember the details about safety briefings or such but it was a fun trip and it was really affordable too. It was a great experience. The diving was wonderful. I feel so bad for these divers and their families.

Julie T likes this.
  10. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    This article says 4 bodies have been located on the ocean floor, but have not yet been recovered.

At Least 8 Dead, Dozens Missing In Charter Boat Fire Off Ventura County Coast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.