fire department tanks??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would highly recommend ........ NO.......you don't know the thickness of the steel & they were not manufactured for those elements & outside pressures.

A steel pressure vessel is just a steel pressure vessel.

Many scuba tanks in the past came from other sources such as O2 tanks, fire extinguishers, etc. After WW-II it was very common to use surplus military tanks (that came from many application) and were converted to Scuba.

There are three potential problems that I can think of.
• The outside finish may not have a decent corrosion protection like hot dipped galvanized, but many people have dealt with painted tanks.
• The tank may be way too buoyant for Scuba purposes. SCBA tanks are design to be as light as possible since that are carried on the surface…Scuba tanks are best when they are negative or near neutral when empty.
• The tank valve threads may be of an size not commonly used for Scuba valves and it may be difficult to find a Scuba valve for it. This may or may not be a problem. Many old tanks used pipe threads.

Structurally it is not a problem. External pressure is insignificant to a high pressure tank.

I have a whole bunch of them,small (5Liter)tanks.The 200bar's we (staff) use them as pooltanks.I have a set of doubles in 300bar(That's where my name comes from :D )
Only problem with these tanks,is the paintjob,it was not designed so saltwater.
So give them a good (salt)water proof paint and of you go.

I've got a bunch of them around, and they all seem to have different neck threads - none of which will fit a scuba valve! Though older ones apparently come in 1/2 NGT and can be used with older taper-thread scuba valves.
But if you can find a valve, they'll work (though some ZRC would be a good idea). They are DOT 3AA tanks, just like many scuba tanks, made to meet the exact same specifications as the scuba tanks. As Luis says.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom