Fins with larger foot pockets? 14/15 rock boot? Jets or Bios Perhaps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djwirk

New
Reaction score
Live in a pretty rural part of southern Oregon so not much I can do as far as trying before I buy. I know a few retailers offer full warranty, etc. but still doing my best to research everything before I make a purchase.
I have size 14/14W feet. The boots that fit me the best are the Oceanic Neo Classic XXXXL 14/15 - a bigger soled rock boot.
I like the way splits perform, I'm still a little doughy from years at a desk job and seem to cramp up less with them. Borrowed some Xpert Zooms and a few different pair of Oceanic V12/16s, and none of them fit worth beans over my boots.
I'd like to find a pair of splits that fit over even these boots so I can wear them with anything, but I'm having a hard time making sure they will work.
If I can't find a decent pair of splits to work for me, I may get some XXL Jets, but still not sure.

Also, if the Bios are big enough, are the positive/neutral/neg buoyant? Would hate to spend that much on a pair of fins only to lose one to the abyss.

I live in B.F. Alaska and would reccomend the Force Fin SD-1 Military Fin.
It has an adjustable foot pocket that I have used up here and am able to make it smaller for warm water diving. If you look at the Force Fin section there is a few pictures of this fin.
The foot pocket is sewn on with 550lb test parachute cord and on the bottum is some felt [like fly fishing boots] sewn in as it is good on slippery stuff.
Just my two cents
Avi

I don't even think XXL jet fins would fit you. I'd go for the XXXL or larger turtles. The XXL turtles were a tough fit (like shove my foot in and it requires two people to get my foot out) on size 12 rockboots for me.

my 13W foot with enough insulation to stay warm (in a Drysuit overboot) at UncleAvi's house fit just fine into a XXL ForceFin foot pocket or the SD-1 Military Footpocket without any issues. I also have worn the same fins with Pinnacle heavy soled wetsuit boot (orca?), but just barely, I had to trim the soles a little to get them in, just around the widest part of my foot at the corners of the sole to round them off some and they work great.
But my ulitmate recommendation is either the Adjustable ForceFin or the FloatTube fin that has an larger than normal adjustable footpocket and is in a much more affordable price than the Military fin. Both the these fins are very similar to the Original and Pro ForceFins, but are more adjustable.

Check out the Quattro and the Biofin. Ten years ago, I looked at a Quattro "regular" that was big enough to insert a size 10 combat boot. Same for the Apollo Biofin. Biofin has a "size LL" recommended for foot size 13. Interpreting Apollo-speak that probably equates to a size 15 foot with 1/4 inch boots.

I see the Force Fin people are here-- somebody signal the bat cave.

Live in a pretty rural part of southern Oregon so not much I can do as far as trying before I buy. I know a few retailers offer full warranty, etc. but still doing my best to research everything before I make a purchase.
I have size 14/14W feet. The boots that fit me the best are the Oceanic Neo Classic XXXXL 14/15 - a bigger soled rock boot.
I like the way splits perform, I'm still a little doughy from years at a desk job and seem to cramp up less with them. Borrowed some Xpert Zooms and a few different pair of Oceanic V12/16s, and none of them fit worth beans over my boots.
I'd like to find a pair of splits that fit over even these boots so I can wear them with anything, but I'm having a hard time making sure they will work.
If I can't find a decent pair of splits to work for me, I may get some XXL Jets, but still not sure.

Also, if the Bios are big enough, are the positive/neutral/neg buoyant? Would hate to spend that much on a pair of fins only to lose one to the abyss.

Just to give you a point of reference, I wear size 14 shoes and size 15 DUI rock boots. The XXL SP Jet Fins fit my rock boots perfectly. The Jets are negative and work well with my drysuit :palmtree: Bob

I don't even think XXL jet fins would fit you. I'd go for the XXXL or larger turtles. The XXL turtles were a tough fit (like shove my foot in and it requires two people to get my foot out) on size 12 rockboots for me.

And 2xl jet fins fit fine

And 2xl jet fins fit fine

Wow, I was always under the impression that turtles were the "bigger" jets and I could barely get into my turtles!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom