Fins with Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seansrs36

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any suggestions for fins with a dry suit? I was using the Manta Rays but they are hard to use in a dry suit. Would anyone recommend the Hollis fins?

Thanks,

Sean

Is the problem foot size, power or fin buoyancy?

I used to have mantarays, and don't remember any drysuit specific problem with them. I know divers with floaty feet like jet fins for their weight. I'm using slipstreams now, which have about the same buoyancy as the mantarays, give me a bit more power and precision, but are much harder on the legs and articulations for long surface swims.

I just had a hard time generating a whole lot of power with the mantas for a long surface swim yesterday with some current.

Anyone have any suggestions for fins with a dry suit? I was using the Manta Rays but they are hard to use in a dry suit. Would anyone recommend the Hollis fins?

Thanks,

Sean

I use Mares Volos; Pearce uses Mares Quattros.

Anyone have any suggestions for fins with a dry suit? Would anyone recommend the Hollis fins?

As others asked; why are you looking to switch?

That said; I've tried both OMS Slipstream size XL and Hollis F1 size XL with my Fusion drysuit. I'm a size 10 in regular shoes and use thick socks under the bilam suit "sock" and 5 mil neoprene booties on top.

Both fins fit fine, but the Hollis fin foot pocket fits my foot better. While the Slipstreams are an improvement over the foot pocket of other Scubapro Jet-like fins I've tried (SP and Rockets), the Slipstream pockets are still not quite "tall" enough for me.

Hollis realized that most humans don't have feet that are rectangular in cross section :wink: and - for me - has a much more form fitting and comfortable foot pocket.

Both Slipstream and Hollis fins work well for me in the water. Good propulsion with frog and "GUE style" flutter kicks. The Hollis fins will do a "regular" flutter kick as well - the Slipstreams not so much. The few times a back kick works for me, both fins work equally well.

The Slipstreams are made from a lighter material, where the Hollis fins are quite heavy and negatively buoyant. Your suit, build and personal preferences will determine which would be better for you.

Hope this helps.

Henrik

Force Fins are easy on the legs, provide all the propulsion and control that you can ever desire and are extremely easy to slip on an off, a big benefit in a drysuit. Most people in drysuit boots use the XXL unless you have a a really small foot.

great info on all post about fins the one thing you might check is your fin kick.. have a friend watch . good fin kick can help in a dry suit and stream line is key to good dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom