fins, tarsal tunnel syndrome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlt3b

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I know there are many posts for fin recommendations and reviews of nova/nova gorilla/twin jets/ etc, but didn't see anything quite pertinent to my issue.

I possibly have tarsal tunnel syndrome in my right foot (kinda like carpal tunnel in the wrist) that makes me prone to pain and cramping in the sole / underside of my foot, so need to be careful with fin choices. I also tend to switch up my kick style during dives, alternating flutter and frog kick, to help prevent cramps.

I've been using Scubapro Twin Jet fins and they have generally been very comfortable. However, on my last dive trip, we got stuck in moderate current at around 30-40 feet and I had a difficult time keeping up with everybody and struggled to get where I needed to get (I ended up turning onto my back and back kicking in order to make it).

Thus, I was thinking of finding a fin that provided better but still efficient propulsion, while still being "foot friendly" and allowing various kick styles. I've been reading about the Seawing Nova or Nova Gorilla, but not sure if these will fit my requirements. I'm a thin guy (5'10, ~ 150lb) in my 40's, so not a young strapping muscular swimmer.

Any thoughts on whether the Nova/Gorilla would be good choices, or recommendations for other fins to consider, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ps - I would be using them mostly for recreational, warm water boat diving, typically wear 3-5mm boots with fairly rigid bottom. Easy to pack for travel is always a "plus". Thanks!

if you can find them the "flying" Force Fin was build specifically to help with this. I understand they are back in production but are expensive. They are my warm water fin of choice.

@jlt3b

Just curious - which boots do you use? When I switched from the hard soled (like an athletic shoe) Seasoft Sunrays to basic soft soled boots (since the Sunrays wouldn't fit in my splits), I've found I do get foot cramps some. Never did with the Sunrays.

Sunrays

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom