Fins - sizing and questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coralcruiser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

I've been diving atomics since they came out and have been looking at getting a pair of apollos... think that negative fins will give me more stability when shooting super macro!

However in trying them on at a few different stores near me I have found that I seem to be in between the XS and S.... and the fit doesn't seem to be consistent between the different colors at different stores. Have there been any changes or modifications to the foot pockets over the years... am wondering if 1 store had a really old pair while the other 2 had newer ones. I tried on yellow in one store and black at the 2 other since they didn't have yellow.

Since I am used to the stiffer fin and you don't make the XT in my size I was told that the yellow one would feel as stiff as the XT.... is this true or just a sales pitch?

Als, being used to the length of the atomics, the sizes I am looking at are 4 inches or more shorter (20-22 inches from heel to tip) and I am wondering if the small fin size will have a difference. Again, I figured I would get the most honest answer here.

Lastly, if I were to buy the S would I be able to trim back the top of the foot pocket so that it doesn't hit me when I bend my foot or would that degrade the fin?

thanks

Hi Coralcruiser:

The Apollo bio-fins are negative and should help with stability.

The colored fins are a higher durometer rubber and slightly stiffer than the original bio-pro black. about 69 durometer vs. the 65 in the black models. The XT version which does not, currently, size in XS or SM is 75.

We would not advise trimming the soft rubber foot pocket, this could cause a running tear.

The foot pocket sizes are all the same, they have not been modified. The shorter length is just proportionate and will not affect performance.

All the best,
Michael

THanks.... so I shouldn't feel too much of a difference in performance going from the long atomics to the short apollos?

Sure would make packing into a carryon a lot simpler... might even be able to bring everthing on a trip in 2 carryons again like I used to 20 years ago!!

Coralcruiser: Your performance with the XS or SM bio-fins should be quite good with the proportionately sized foot pockets and blades.

There is no change for 2010, maybe some color additions, like the new international orange, but no change in material or performance characteristics

Back
Top Bottom